UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tyre Advice

Old 04-28-2012, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre Advice

Hi All,
I've just bought a 2004 S2000 today (which is great) - it has 'Sunny' brand tyres on the front and 'Nexus' brand tyres on the rear - they are all very new but I've never heard of these brands. A quick Google showed that they are 'performance' budget tyres (didn't know such a thing existed!). Now I've bought the car mainly for road and track use - it won't be my daily driver as I'll typically do no more than 3 to 5k miles per year.

I would therefore like to ensure the tyres are more track focused for grip & safety. Does anyone have any experience of these tyres, particularly on track and can I ask the wisdom of people on here as to what advice they would have on tyres if I look to change all four?

Many thanks
Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO I'd replace them ASAP.

For info regarding best tyres use the search function (I'm an OEM faithful).
Old 04-28-2012, 09:32 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

See "The Tyre Thread" here for advice on tyres. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/900...e-tyre-thread/

These brands are not included but you'll get some steer towards what you might want to replace them with.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 AM

I agree with the groova! I bought a Nissan 200sx with those tyres fitted a few years back, and they were horrible!! Changed them within weeks of ownership.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:03 PM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

Wreck em on a track day then put some decent rubber on

Or flog them on ebay
Old 04-28-2012, 01:26 PM

i had some nexus tyres all round when i bought mine and i had no problems with them what so ever! .... in the dry. They never gave out when cornering hard. In the wet though they are ridiculous. Hit vtec it will skid, turn to sharp it will slide. Be warned.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I have Nexus on the front and rear from the previous owner. In the dry they aren't a bad tyre... they aren't that bad that you need to change them urgently. In the wet they aren't very good but then again you shouldn't be driving like a loon when its slippy out.

I just made a leisurely drive in the extremely wet conditions we are currently having in the south and keeping the engine at low revs the car was fine, no slipping or tailout action. I learnt along time ago that its pointless trying to drive fast in the wet as its a recipe for disaster!

I will be going for Falkens when these are worn out.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
+1

I've not heard of these brands but from what others are saying they are a fairly hard compound so may slide a bit more in the wet.

As with any trackday setup the best advice is to build up slowly and see what grip the tyres will give you ... IMHO no point throwing money at the tyres until you've got good use out of the
Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2

Or flog them on ebay
:/ You'd have a pretty shit time on a day costing you £200 plus if you use budget tyres. I'd rather take them to santa pod and do donuts round cones for £60. Or behind Tescos for free lol
Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Saint Matt
Originally Posted by Nottm_S2' timestamp='1335647026' post='21651700

Or flog them on ebay
:/ You'd have a pretty shit time on a day costing you £200 plus if you use budget tyres. I'd rather take them to santa pod and do donuts round cones for £60. Or behind Tescos for free lol
Each to their own but personally I've done loads of track days on budget tyres .... on a dry track you are not going to gain *that* much lap time from soft tyres (unless you start going to semi slicks etc) .... in the wet you will gain more from softer tyres / better tread patterns but, again IMHO, it wouldn't ruin a track day for me

if it was me I would use the tyres that are virtually new before spending £400 on a new set of rubber

Quick Reply: Tyre Advice