UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tussle with MR2 Turbo

Old 07-23-2002, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by NEED4SPEED
Cedric - the new MR2 roadster is not all that fast and the interior looks really tacky and cheap!

My mates has one! I hope he isn't reading this! It is very light, weighing only 970kg and the handling is pretty good but it runs out of steam very quickly! And it looks like a frog too!
I agree. I didn't like the interior at all! Jan refused to sit in it. She has very definite views on what she does and doesn't like! Don't they show you up?. It was the same when I test drove the Audi TT coupe. I wasn't that interested, but arranged to have a second test drive with Jan. When we turned up it was parked waiting on the front and the sales guy handed me the keys. Jan refused to sit in it after walking round it about 3 times saying things like "Yuk" "Ugh" and "You've got to be kidding" Completely did me out of the test drive! We had a real bull and cow on the way home!

Mind you when she saw the S on the showroom floor she said " Tell 'em to get that crap off the screen then....... that's ours" She's not a bad barometer really!
Old 07-23-2002, 02:57 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally posted by UKjasonm
Saw an article on MandM a few months ago about this guy with a Nissan Pulsar (Sunny Turbo). In standard form they have about 200BHP but this guys had 400+ and he was saying how he loved to take on Porsches,Ferraris,etc from the lights and leave them for dead.

I bet thats good fun, downside was that he reckoned hed spent about 25K on the car
Too bad that like most heavily modded cars, thousands had been spent and it looked like a piece of sh*!

One day I'm just going to get to the top of the food chain (no kids and wife you see!) and there won't be a mod in site. It will be a 911 Turbo, XJ220 or McLaren. F40 might make the list too; somehow I think McLarens will always be
Old 07-23-2002, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gaddafi
[B]One day I'm just going to get to the top of the food chain (no kids and wife you see!) and there won't be a mod in site.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:11 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally posted by Tifosi Red

great sentiments! Avoid the XJ220 though if you want to keep it stock, I think just about every owner who wants to drive it fast has ditched the stock brakes for something that actually slows the car down!
Interesting Tif, I hadn't heard that. I have been told the engine sounds like a sack of spanners but I don't know if it's true.

Saw one in the flesh once and there were two impressions:

big, big car!
absolutely fantastic paint job

It's a tough call ruling out any mod; I suppose I'm really anti major engine transplants and body mods thinking about it.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:16 AM

yeah its true - the engine is practically the same as that in the Metro 6R4 group B rally monster (but less powerful) but the front brakes came straight off a 1.0 Metro City (j/k but nearly true!!)

I saw the V12 engined concept car at the NEC way back when and fell in love, the actual cars they sold were a little bit of a let down but majesterial in size

Gordon Murray had some intersting comments to make about the use of size for visual impact in the design of supercars... I don't think he approved of the XJ220 Incredible how small the F1 is though!
Old 07-23-2002, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by gaddafi
It's a tough call ruling out any mod; I suppose I'm really anti major engine transplants and body mods thinking about it.
I'm the same - I like my cars to look like the designers had originally intended - they're the experts at the end of the day... (or supposed to be)

The only exception I have is upgrading the stereo - as a rule they tend to be crap

Alex.
Old 07-23-2002, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tifosi Red
[B]I once had a girl
Old 07-23-2002, 09:10 AM
Banned

I say "get it Modded" Your only enhancing certain items, things that could have been designed better or where not cost effective from the factory.
You can't Polish a Turd and I wouldn't modd a non sporty model, but I will mod the "S" when I get it.
Nothing silly, but maybe a Vafc, X-brace and some better wheels. The 16's are just to small on the S. The Civic get 17's and I bet they would look great on the S2000(does any know if they will fit?)

Cheers
Old 07-23-2002, 09:55 AM

My best mate has an MR2 Turbo. It has been tweaked very slightly but I do normally give him a good run for his money.
I find that the S stands up to it (hard acceleration) up to 100 mph then the MR2 just starts to creep away from me. Also it has an almost instant response as soon as he stamps on the gas, but in the case of the S, I have to change down to get it pulling as hard.
My mate does think that the S is quite a match for his MR2 seeming it doesn't have a blower on it. That's what tuning is all about though, extracting the most HP out of an engine without the use of a turbo.
That's where Honda have the upper hand on the technical side.

Just look at Ford for instance, they are releasing the RS focus (2.0L 240 bhp) but don't have the know how to produce a reliable NA engine to produce 240 bhp, so its an easy solution to just slap on a turbo and Bob's your uncle instant bhp.

I don't "do" turbos, they're for P*ssys

All I can say is long live Honda and long live VTEC!!!!

BTW after my mate and I have been out for a thrash I have to laugh when he has to sit there for 5 minutes waiting for the turbo to cool and I'm away doing other things.

Matt