UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Turbo or supercharged - For a daily driver

Old 11-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gary, if you are coming to the NW meet on 25th November then you can have a look at mine.

I use mine as a daily driver but typically don't do any more than 6k per year but am expecting the SOS kit to be reliable as no one seems to have a bad word to say about it.

And has Ron has stated above - It's just so driveable with only a hint of lag between gearchanges
Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryB
After doing much research on the pro's and cons of Supercharged vs Turbo, I find myself left with one question.

Which would suit best for a daily driver on real roads (ignoring fuel economy)?
I'm thinking you see a lot of "daily drives" out there with turbos and none with supers so the most practical would be..............
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say that a well fitted and matched Turbo would possibly be a good way to go for a DD, the thing with the Turbo is that it only does what you tell it to do. So if you are light on the throttle then little or no boost is produced, and fuel consumption can be equal or better than stock.

When I run my Supercharger I just didn't get on with it, it's very much like a stock car on steroids.So bugger all torque untill you start to rev it.with the turbo( and I can't confirm this untill I run my car) upto around 4000 its no worse than a stock car but then once on boost the torque is a huge advantage over the Sc.

Each have advantages over the other, but with the Supercharger you ar basically stuck with what you've got...... Whereas the turbo is infinitely improbable . Mattys is a good example of one of the very best Supercharger installation's but at the very very best you could possibly hope for is around 600 hp, and if you look at the work and improvements Matty has made that is quite difficult to acheve.On the other hand with the Turbo you can go from 300ish upto 1200hp .of course big power is always going to be expensive.In the end its your choice.

You know where I live Gary, you are welcome to come and have another look at my car.

MB I know its take a while Mark but on average I can only spend around 10 hours maximum working on my car per week, and that's if I'm lucky.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't comment on a SC set up and, my S2k experience is quite limited.
However I have driven a 05 car with a greddy turbo kit running about 357 Hp. I drove it around the town mostly and it was surperb for just pottering about with much better low down torgue than the standard cars that I've driven. Pick up when you floored it was really good aswell.
From what I've read about SC's on S2000's the Turbo would prob be my choice but, I would try and drive both first before decideing.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:27 AM

IIRC, ignoring torque , Martin's supercharger produced 240bhp at 4800rpm and not 8300rpm like the standard car.

In terms of daily driver, why wouldn't you want what the stock car offers, except more of it.

If you plan on having fun, the last thing you want is a silly turbo ready to spool up and spit you off the road.

You'll also get a wedge of lag between the gearchanges on a turbo.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
If you plan on having fun, the last thing you want is a silly turbo ready to spool up and spit you off the road.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 AM

I would say it depended on what type of driver you are, sc if you like to thrash your car to 9k every where or if your a bit lazyer go with a small turbo so you have power when ever you want it eg, to over take in any gear and have loads of power.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:39 AM

I have no doubt I would break a turbo car all the time. I drive the car hard when I can.

Kings do a stage one kit but not sure if that fits a rhd car but that will produce up to 500hp so anything less will be better for the engine. If you get a turbo make sure you get a ball bearing core as it will spin up much sooner.

You need to decide whether you want to keep the characteristics of the engine or not. Supercharger will, turbo won't.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mattie170
I have no doubt I would break a turbo car all the time. I drive the car hard when I can.

Kings do a stage one kit but not sure if that fits a rhd car but that will produce up to 500hp so anything less will be better for the engine. If you get a turbo make sure you get a ball bearing core as it will spin up much sooner.

You need to decide whether you want to keep the characteristics of the engine or not. Supercharger will, turbo won't.
The Stage1 will fit the RHD car, its got a log manifold and produces between 380-450 wheel horsepower.i already pm'd Gary about this but I think it may be I bit more than he wanted to pay.

The problem is Gary you have created an itch which you now need to scratch just get rid of that noisy Megan exhaust and it might go away but I doubt it.Why on earth somebody would sell a noisy exhaust like that is beyond me
Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by mattie170
Apologies for the interject, but could you please explain something?

My limited mechanical knowledge leads me to believe that, as you've stated, a SC would keep the characteristics of the car, meaning that the VTEC would still play a valuable part (I'm assuming). Is it true to say then, that a turbo would effectively make the VTEC redundant?

Quick Reply: Turbo or supercharged - For a daily driver