UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Turbo or supercharged - For a daily driver

Old 11-01-2012, 03:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eSeM
Used the car as a daily driver for most of this year, mostly short journeys of less than 30min.

I get 9psi (and 339hp at the wheels) and I had a year and a half of trouble free driving ... until I had to change the pulley bearings a few months back.
One factor that could be worth mentioning would be the mileage on your car, I'm sure a lower mileage drivetrain can take a lot more abuse than a higher one. Also of course driving style will affect the life span of the original components more than anything else.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion is that a turbo S2000 will be better as a daily driven car. S/C builds up boost with rpms while with a turbo car you can go with 8000+ rpms without any boost and the engine working completely NA. Turbine will be activated with the throttle percentage lets say if you press the gas pedal over 40% and of course you are inside the rpm power band.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by razzele
Originally Posted by eSeM' timestamp='1351767988' post='22122451

Used the car as a daily driver for most of this year, mostly short journeys of less than 30min.

I get 9psi (and 339hp at the wheels) and I had a year and a half of trouble free driving ... until I had to change the pulley bearings a few months back.
One factor that could be worth mentioning would be the mileage on your car, I'm sure a lower mileage drivetrain can take a lot more abuse than a higher one. Also of course driving style will affect the life span of the original components more than anything else.
I understand that the wear on the drivetrain will increase and that I'll be spending more time spannering. I'm not expecting to be able to bolt on another 200bhp and have it factory reliable. My real concern was with the reliability of both systems themselves. I know the clutch will probably need replacing soon, probably driveshafts/wheel bearings will get hammered and the gearbox will be under more stress and I'm prepared for that kind of thing.

I have 150k miles on mine and am under no illusions that this will probably bring forward the day the engine finally lets go, my question was more around the maintenance you have to perform with the actual FI kit itself.

Thanks for the input though chaps. I appreciate the pro's and cons of these 2 methods of FI have been covered many times before but I haven't been able to get any input on using them daily. Other threads seem to be about drag runs, track abuse and a pi55ing contest about which systems produce the biggest boot up the arse when you floor it.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:22 AM

possible note that could be of use, although all talk of MPG should be banned from this forum, on the way to the track day I got 25mpg getting out of london and then up the M1, 55 miles in total. Lets not go into the on track figure
Old 11-01-2012, 04:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the type of charger and it's design to do with how well the power is delivered. I think iirc it's about 8bhp on average to turn the charger on your average 4 cylinder engine but the most important thing to look at with chargers is adiabatic efficiency. I think all the ones for the S are centrifugal designs which aren't great at about 65%. A turbo will give your more wallop and also the fuel economy of N/A when it's off boost but the SC will be less stressful on the car long term.

If you run low boost then you'll be ok with it as a daily driver but if you want to hike it up, as others have said expect things to break. Saying that any supercharger with its linear power delivery will be less stressful than going turbo. You have to remember the engine isn't low compression so it's not really designed to take high levels of on/off stress. That would be my argument for supercharging over turbo.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 AM

If its your only car and can't use another for down time don't do it. Small turbo will be good for daily use but be prepared to do a lot of heat protecting as things get toasty under the bonnet with a turbo. I love my supercharger, yes I have had problems but we are over these now and the thing goes like a steam train. I don't think I ever drive the car under 3k so it wouldn't matter to me about sapping power, anyway at 3k mine is producing about 3psi of boost. You can bring the vtec down to as low as 3k so that would help. My idle is fine as long as I don't have the o2 fb on but we are going to sort that. Idle is all down to the map and whether the mapper can be arsed to spend the time to set it up correctly. Find a mapper that is prepared to spend the time and it would be ace but it will cost you as it all takes time for near perfection.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 AM

I was discussing the pro's and con's of each setup with the wife last night. She pointed out that realistically a 2nd hand SC kit will sell on for roughly what we've paid for it so we could go SC first and then sell on and try turbo after if we don't like it which seemed a fair point. Both need ECU, fuel pumps and injectors so I only spend on those once.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 AM

on the presumption that Coronation Street and Shoes didn't creep into that conversation then she's a keeper.

What annual miles would you do on the car and would you use it throughout the year?

if it's soon to be 13 years old which of the major components have already been replaced and when?

My worry would be that with an older car you'll need to upgrade/replace most aspects, whereas a newer car you can bolt on and go. Sure you could bolt on an SC to what you have now but how long before you initiate a string of failures. I look forwards to following the story though.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need a ride in Martin's car.

It's just so driveable with only a hint of lag between gearchanges.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I wouldn't buy a second hand SC unless you know the buyer the charger or it's from the UK and can be seen.

I've bought one from the US which was removed by Kings Performance yet still half the kit was missing (nuts, bolts, pulley, mounts, seals, faulty bearing etc).

Mine supposedly had 4300 miles on it but you can't trust anyone

Buy new IMO.

Positives, it immense when working!

Quick Reply: Turbo or supercharged - For a daily driver