UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Trying to renew interest in my S2000, modify?

Old 07-07-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to renew interest in my S2000, modify?

Evening chaps,

Bit of a pointless thread, but just wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions.

Don't get me wrong I love my S2000 (when the time is right), however recently I have found myself constantly looking at new cars and pondering about changing. I have bit of a fancy for a Z4M and even considered the new M135i.

Anyway looking at the numbers and chatting with the OH I've decided unless I sink another 10k in to changing it won't be worthwhile - and with wanting to buy another house I can't really justify spending 10k on cars ATM.

So if I don't change I think I need to renew my love for the car so I have been thinking about tarting it up a bit. At the moment it's a completely stock RNBP 2005, its in fantastic mechanical condition but the paint work is only good condition. It's also booked in for a new roof at jack smiths next month.

So I have been considering getting a pearl white wrap and plasti-dipping my stock 17' wheels gun metal grey? What do you think? Anybody any experience or recommendations for wrapping the S?

One thing which always bugs me is the arch gap and I think this would be highlighted more so with the contrast in wheel and body colour. What can I do (cheaply) to reduce the gap that won't kill the cars compliance? I drive the car a lot and I like how it rides stock, I'd happily have slightly less body roll (rear feels a bit soft on the rev3 cars) but I don't want it crashy at all or to look "stanced".

Part of me thinks its a waste spending money on aesthetics and that I should spend this cash under the bonnet, but I feel unless I spunk 5k on a SC any gains aren't really worthwhile.

Help me fall in love with her again.

Cheers.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally, I think life is too short to keep the same car for too long. I barely keep mine longer than a year. I have a friend who had a Fiesta as his first car and kept it for 6 years before getting an M3. Yeah so he saved more money than me by changing cars all the time, but I was able to enjoy and experience all kinds of different cars in that time, and I don't regret it for a second.

If you've got an itch that needs to be scratched - do it now! Before fuel gets too expensive, or you could develop a crippling illness and be unable to drive in a year from now :-P
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Riknos
Personally, I think life is too short to keep the same car for too long. I barely keep mine longer than a year. I have a friend who had a Fiesta as his first car and kept it for 6 years before getting an M3. Yeah so he saved more money than me by changing cars all the time, but I was able to enjoy and experience all kinds of different cars in that time, and I don't regret it for a second.

If you've got an itch that needs to be scratched - do it now! Before fuel gets too expensive, or you could develop a crippling illness and be unable to drive in a year from now :-P
I like your style and for the most part of life I live like everyday is my last. But moving into a bigger nicer house is something I also really want to do!

Like I said unless I spend 10k (which would pay my stamp duty!) I don't think it's worth changing, the s2000 is that good.
So that's why I'm thinking spend 1-2k to get the s2000 in tip top so I hopefully I can continue to enjoy her for another couple years (where ill go buy something silly!)
Old 07-07-2013, 10:49 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

If it's already in good mechanical condition - why bother spending anything? Changing colour won't stop you getting bored of it - only other people see the outside!
Old 07-07-2013, 11:06 PM

I'd spend the money on trackdays & Tuition, that should get your interest back!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 AM

Buy a daily hack so the S2 becomes a weekend special - feels like a new car every week then
Old 07-08-2013, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by SeanStone
I'd spend the money on trackdays & Tuition, that should get your interest back!
Now that's a good shout, something I haven't thought of.

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
Buy a daily hack so the S2 becomes a weekend special - feels like a new car every week then
Running another car would be pointless for me. I could drive the car less quite easily, it would just mean getting the bike out more often and using the OH's car more! Maybe that's the solution.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:26 AM

If you're getting bored of the S2000, just jump in another car for a few days!

Last week my battery decided to die (8 years old) so I had to use my dad's BMW 3.0 Z4 for 3 days until the replacement arrived - a good chance to do a comparison of 2 sporty 2 seater roadsters!

While the Z4 is generally nice to drive and be in, it still doesn't have the same fun factor as the S2000 imo, the car feels heavy and in no way sporty, engine is torquey but doesn't have the same excitement as the VTEC unit (runs out of puff early on), steering feels more disconnected, and the gear box felt clunky and hard work!

Z4M I'm sure will be better than the 3.0 version but I still think I'd miss the S2000 after a while.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:54 AM

For the money, the S2000 really is in a class of its own

Even when you look at the cost of a supercharger, when you compare the car to the category that takes it into, the value vs performance is just outrageous. Servicing is cheap (for a sports car), plenty of people running out of talent and giving us lots of spares, fairly easy on the tyres if you aren't sideways 100% of the time, looks great, sounds great and is a very involving drive

you never know what you have til it's gone

I think my next car will be something like a Sagaris. Or maybe an Ultima GTR if one comes up at a decent price, but not before I've supercharged my S

Enjoy the car, track it and enjoy it
Old 07-08-2013, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by SlimJ GBR
If you're getting bored of the S2000, just jump in another car for a few days!

Last week my battery decided to die (8 years old) so I had to use my dad's BMW 3.0 Z4 for 3 days until the replacement arrived - a good chance to do a comparison of 2 sporty 2 seater roadsters!

While the Z4 is generally nice to drive and be in, it still doesn't have the same fun factor as the S2000 imo, the car feels heavy and in no way sporty, engine is torquey but doesn't have the same excitement as the VTEC unit (runs out of puff early on), steering feels more disconnected, and the gear box felt clunky and hard work!

Z4M I'm sure will be better than the 3.0 version but I still think I'd miss the S2000 after a while.
A friend had a 3.0 Z4 and my thoughts were identical (the huge lump sits right on top of the front axle) making it feel very lazy compared to the S. He then moved up to a Z4M - whilst on paper they are fairly similar in real world they are completely different. Whilst not quite as revvy the engine feels manic and the extra performance is obviously welcome.

Originally Posted by SeanStone
For the money, the S2000 really is in a class of its own

Even when you look at the cost of a supercharger, when you compare the car to the category that takes it into, the value vs performance is just outrageous. Servicing is cheap (for a sports car), plenty of people running out of talent and giving us lots of spares, fairly easy on the tyres if you aren't sideways 100% of the time, looks great, sounds great and is a very involving drive

you never know what you have til it's gone

I think my next car will be something like a Sagaris. Or maybe an Ultima GTR if one comes up at a decent price, but not before I've supercharged my S

Enjoy the car, track it and enjoy it
Again I agree. Your points above are why I bought the car. With every other car I have owned I have known what I wanted to get next and have saved and bought it, with the S2000 there isn't an obvious replacement as its so good in so many ways.

That's why I am in this position - its not worth upgrading unless I throw another 10K down for a 17-20k car.

So I am just thinking of ways which will make me happy to keep the car for another couple years so I dont feel so bad about handing my hard earned cash to my mortgage man.

Quick Reply: Trying to renew interest in my S2000, modify?