UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Trying to buy a car - police advice please.

Old 11-05-2005, 08:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trying to buy a car - police advice please.

I went to look at a car today.

It was just the sort I am after - but - the owner said he called the dealer who he is buying his new motor from, this am, to see what value he could get, should his car not sell privately.

The dealer said 'your car is stolen(!)' he said 'what?'. Appr it is 'blocked' on HPI - the dealer (SAAB) are looking at what has gone on and he said it should all be sorted on Tuesday after talking to HPI.

Then he told me that the car was registered on the HPI system as stolen, since September 2002 (when he first bought it), which was news to him, before today he hadn`t got a clue of that.

Now, to add further confusion, the guy was in a nice house, in a nice area and was a policeman(!!!) - so I do not for a minute think it is actually stolen.

He has owned the car from new and he told me something about being a policeman, there is a need to 'block the car on some database' so addresses cannot be found. Something for safety.

This all got me totally confused and put me off the deal as the car was nice. Has anyone had anything like this?

When I read what I have typed it sounds dodgy as hell - but I dont think it is.

He said, had he not called the dealer today, he wouldn`t have known any of this - I would have gone away, tried to HPI it and thought, aye up, whats going on here then...
Old 11-05-2005, 08:32 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Got to admit, it sounds iffy. Where did he buy it? Dealers have a legal obligation to let you know anything like that.

Sounds like HPI are the only ones who can sort it. If you get it HPI'd yourself, they will insure you upto
Old 11-05-2005, 08:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree.

Its not like it was a cheap for a used hatch at 9.5k private.

This was a private sale. The dealer bit is about the people who informed the copper (private seller) that it was stolen.

I`ll see what happens although it concerned me enough to back out of a deal that was a car I really liked.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just because of all the back-story relating to the car I'd walk away. What might appear to turn out fine in a few weeks, may reveal further shit later on.

Unless it's straight forward from the start I wouldn't buy a car. It's like meeting a bird who used to go out with a jealous psychopath. He might be off the scene now, but will probably come back later and kick your balls.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing!,Nov 5 2005, 05:42 PM
It's like meeting a bird who used to go out with a jealous psychopath. He might be off the scene now, but will probably come back later and kick your balls.
especially if you've been dipping your doodah in her Pina Colada

why don't you do your own HPI now Col

see what that shows

it's
Old 11-05-2005, 09:31 AM

My cars are 'blocked' on PNC for the reasons given, however have never had a problem with other databases. You would not be able to find the keeper details by paying the normal fee to DVLA, however I am unaware of any problems being caused with HPI checks. Give it until Tuesday but check any paperwork - don't just take his word for it. If it were me I would get it done myself just for peace of mind.

Another way is to take the registration to the local station and they will be able to tell you if it is stolen or not. Obviously they cannot give you any other details but if it were stolen they would be very interested anyway. People are not always who they purport to be.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you going to have the same problem when you come to sell it
Walk away or get a really good price
Old 11-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

How do you know he was a policeman?
Old 11-05-2005, 11:44 AM

My brother is plod and his cars do not come up as stolen when HPI checked, so I call BS on that bit of the story.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:11 PM

My first post!

It's true that the registration can be 'blocked' on certain databases (very handy for blasting through Gatso's! ), but i don't understand why it should actually show up as STOLEN on a HPI check. Try to check with your local nick. There are 'confirmed' and 'unconfirmed' stolen reports on PNC. If 'unconfirmed, it could just be a mistake. Afterall, if it's been registered as 'stolen' for that amount of time something would have happened by now.

Quick Reply: Trying to buy a car - police advice please.