UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Trouble Pulling Away

Old 07-18-2010, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Pulling Away

Hi,

I have had trouble pulling away in the s2000 since I got it, I have used a softare called pcmscan to monitor the readings from the OBDII socket while I pulled away and logged the results to a graph:

as you can see the car idles fine to start with then as I pull away the map sensor reading goes up at a slower rate than at a later stage (when the car is moving along, getting plenty of air)...

Do you think that this would conclude to proof of heatsoak/restriction of standard air intake?

Thanks
James
Old 07-18-2010, 08:16 AM

the map sensor reads vacuum on a NA engine, so as you floor it from standard the vacuum drops and only comes back as you get the rpm up
i would say that typical of an engine bogging down
if im reading this correct your not getting above 6k rpm also what time scale is this over

one thing for sure the intake is not restrictive, you could if very lucky gain up to 6 hp with a different intake but it will be right at the top end so not so noticable.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:38 AM

Hi Oxhouser,

I refer to the start of the readings where the map line (blue) is curved, as opposed to the readings later on where they go up very quickly (or with straight lines)

I think you are right about the restrictiveness but it does allow hot air from the engine to be sucked in and may be quite restrictive when stationary? causing the manifold to only get pressure/vacuum slowly? or am I talking rubbish? quite probable! I just want to figure out why the car is really struggling to get moving...
Old 07-18-2010, 08:59 AM

You really need to see tps to compare.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If cruising at a constant revs+speed the map needs to stay at 35-40Kpa, with the car off but ignition on it should be around 100Kpa (Constant). This figures esp Map sensor will alter (fluctuate alot) but it entirely depends on how fast/how much you are putting your foot down- for this reason i agree with Giff, log the TPS. You would probably be just as well logging the 02 sensors and IAT sensor.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:30 AM

just confirm what revs your acheiving during this test, it looks like no more than 6k
Old 07-18-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by oxhouser,Jul 18 2010, 10:30 AM
just confirm what revs your acheiving during this test, it looks like no more than 6k
no more than 6 really, it was a short trip - mainly to test out my logging software!

The engine didn't get hot enough to be revved beyond that.

I will try to do a run with different measurements logged, ie TPS and IAT if poss.

Thanks
James
Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 AM

if you want to pull away fast you need to keep it above 6k, to get the S to launch fast you have to be very agressive with the clutch and plenty of RPM
its not the best car for trafic light racing.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by oxhouser,Jul 19 2010, 12:08 AM
if you want to pull away fast you need to keep it above 6k, to get the S to launch fast you have to be very agressive with the clutch and plenty of RPM
its not the best car for trafic light racing.
Plenty of revs, lots of tailsliding its plenty fun
Only obviously seen this on youtube videos of s2000 launches!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:08 AM

no no its absolutely not that im trying to launch for speed, this is the total opposite, when pulling out of my drive on the way to work!

Quick Reply: Trouble Pulling Away