UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Transmission bolt cross threaded

Old 03-30-2008, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission bolt cross threaded

hello guys just a quicky while i have time on my hands, i recently changed my transmission oil,and before when i came home from a along drive i could smell oil so i checked under the car and i had oil on my transmission casing (coming from the top(were you top it up) tried to tighten the bolt but it just wont have it? seems like i have cross threaded the bolt? any sugestions? oh bolt looks fine but just wont tighten(goes so tight then losens up again)

thanks lee
Old 03-30-2008, 07:26 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Either the threads on the bolt are ****ed, or the gearbox female thread.

More likely the gearbox thread i'd guess but don't know what the materials are. There are repair options but if you manaaged to cross thread that, i'd get a decent mechanic to sort it for you.

How much oil is left in? Hopefully no damage...
Old 03-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

if the bolt looks ok then you've probably damaged the casing thread

the bolt is probably steel and the casing alloy, so it's not difficult to work out which will lose in an argument

there is an outside chance you might be able to get it to go back properly but it's a long shot

best way to guard against cross-threading, and to check engagement, is actually to wind the bolt slowly backwards until you feel a click as the threads coincide/pass

then wind slowly the right way until you are sure things are running true, making sure the bolt is dead straight

having to use force is a real danger sign......

as I said, I suspect you've damaged the casing threads and the proper solution would be to retap and use a new bolt

as a get you home fix, you could use something like PTFE tape on the bolt
Old 03-30-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you reuse the old washer?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:55 AM
MB

It won't tighten down though according to the top post, but i see what you are aiming at - id guess the bolt isn't bottoming out on anything, ie it has free space to go all the way down inside the gear case - so prob not a washer issue.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:51 AM

washer is on yes, when i tightened the bolt last weekend it didnt seem cross threaded and when on easily enough by hand then tightened great with socket, then 2day it was lose and would tighten by hand but not with the socket? think i over done it with the torque maybe? what are my options for repair? oil level is fine topped up right away and as soon as i started to pump it over flowed. and i think you right by saying its the female thread.

thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 10:20 AM

Received 253 Likes on 218 Posts

Mmmmm stripped thread possibly.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say you have over tightened it, and stripped part of the thread on the casing.

re-tap and a bigger bolt with a new washer, is best

Kiwi
Old 03-30-2008, 12:43 PM

how do i do that or were do i get it done kiwi? is it easily done or does the tansmission need to come out? is there any sort of tape i can put round the bolt you no like what plumbers do? am away on tuesday again you see so basicly only have monday to mess about with it thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 12:44 PM
MB

You would then have to completely flush and clean the sump for fear of anything getting into the casing. Even tiny bits will casue havoc. There are a few repair options.

Quick Reply: Transmission bolt cross threaded