UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Traction Control

Old 06-11-2003, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by zero_to60
I guess a switchable system would be of value but I am sure the temptation would be there to leave it switched on all the time.....
This is a dilemma! You would be cursing if you turned it off and wrecked the car by losing the back end. I think the lack of traction control has in some ways given the car some exclusivety and made it an enthuisiasts car.

I've never had/driven a car with tc yet, and never really felt that I needed it.

BTW Zero, congrats on the new arrival
Old 06-11-2003, 07:05 AM

thanks Neil

the S2000 is going to be used less and less over the coming months while things settle down but......I am not going to get rid of it. I am far too attached to it

It's given me so much pleasure and satisfaction I know I'd miss it too much......I'd rather savour it like a fine wine
Old 06-11-2003, 07:12 AM

You were going to hibernate the S in the winter anyway IIRC. I plan to do the same when I get my next one, keeping it long term in my soon to be constructed garage for fun rather than commuting.

If you need someone to keep the S ticking over for the next few months, just let me know
Old 06-11-2003, 02:27 PM

Paul, I completely agree with you mate. I was just jesting with my previous post.....
This was one of the (hundreds of) reasons I chose the S. They designed the S2000 around the driver....it is a driver's car. (I hope the S2200 will not even have t/c as an option).

Even though I liked Knight Rider (a long time ago I stress), I don't want no KITT driving me in my sports car.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by zero_to60
T/c in a car such as the Audi I think is good...I think this car would be very difficult to crash unless it was driven by a lunatic
Erm an A2? FWD and hardly enough power to pull skin of a rice pudding and you think that's a car to base an opinion on traction control on. If you want to judge what it would be like on the S drive a powerful RWD car with traction control that cuts engine power.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zero_to60
[B]
I think traction control would ruin the S2000 though.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:55 PM

Erm an A2? FWD and hardly enough power to pull skin of a rice pudding and you think that's a car to base an opinion on traction control on. If you want to judge what it would be like on the S drive a powerful RWD car with traction control that cuts engine power.
Like you say the A2 isn't well endowed but it's still possible for the car to run wide under power and this form of t/c does prevent this so in principle the car is looking after you in this situation and that was really what I was getting at. Anything that takes away skill from the driver in my mind is sanitising the driving experience

Regarding ABS I don't think there is anything wrong with that on a road car...why? because it's something that should only be of relevance in an emergency....well I hope people aren't on the ABS prior to or during turning into a corner as a matter of course.....

Traction control on an NSX? Wasn't aware it had that fitted....

Torsen diff I think is perfectly acceptable and I don't consider it a driver aid in the same way as a full blown traction control system...

I am thinking specifically about these 4WD performance cars where all that appears to be required by the driver is to choose a braking point, turn the car in and nail the accerelerator and 'guide' the car round the corner and the 'computers' will sort everything out for you
Old 06-12-2003, 12:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The traction control on these cars, as you say, is more advanced than the 'face saver' on the A2, active yaw control on the EVO, pushes and pulls at crazy angles to make you look a real hero, when in a S2000 you'd suddenly find your not .

Of course no car can totally defy physics & entering a corner when any car is not balanced at too high a speed will only at best bring tears. or

P1 at Bedford when I drove it I found it soo fast, but the instructor on his lap just went all the way round sideways...seemed a waste of time after the initial 'oooh' factor, but he was just showing what it could do (easy 4wd drifts etc), had more fun in a tight dogleg and sweeping right / left hander in the S2000 than that whole lap in a P1...& he melted his brakes.
Old 06-12-2003, 12:29 AM

The P1 doesn't have any of this traction control gubbins though. Like the old Imprezas it just has a 60/40 split front to rear and 4wd. The Evo is a different story, but there are versions (RS) which don't have any of the AYC/TC stuff

At sensible fast road speeds none of these "rally specials" would get as far as using the tc, they just have too much grip.

I too thought that the Impreza was too easy after the S2000 and the 200SX, but I'm being proved wrong - it is top fun.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:52 AM

My Audi is completely switchable ESP (traction control, wheel braking EBDL etc etc). I think its pretty crap! It is jerky, especially when pulling quickly out of 90 degree junctions in the wet, it gives a bad kangaroo effect. Going around corners too quickly will result in continual weight shifts from the front to the back while it tries to sort everything out! I prefer to switch it off and slide through the corners smoothly. Traction control is not need on the S3 anyway, as it won't wheel spin even in the wet.

Newer VAG versions as fitted to the Cupra R are very good. It allows a degree of wheelspin and understeer before it applies. When it does apply, it does it more gently than previous versions.

I would be much happier to have a switchable ESP system in the S2000. It would be much safer in the wet and cold weather. I personally think every modern day car should be fitted with this feature, BUT and I stress IT MUST be fully switchable.