UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Traction Control

Old 06-11-2003, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control

Since the wife is not driving at the moment I decided to use the A2 for commuting this morning

It's the first time I've driven a car with traction control. I am not sure how sophisticated the Audi system is. It feels like it's using the ABS system to measure the speed differential between the driven and undriven wheels and using the brakes to prevent wheel spin

I put it through it's paces in the following scenarios:-

Launch

Using t/c making a smooth launch is impossible, very jerky as the t/c kicks in and it's really untidy. I keen driver with a sensitive right foot and clutch action does not need t/c in my opinion. Switching it off meant I could launch much more quickly and smoothly

Roundabouts and bends

You can basically nail the throttle and guide it round.....the t/c prevents you from getting any power-understeer. The front just tucks in and round you go. As you unwind the lock you can feel the power feeding back in until the point at which the tyres are no longer wanting to slip. I must say it was quite a novelty feeling the car doing all the work for you.

T/c in a car such as the Audi I think is good...I think this car would be very difficult to crash unless it was driven by a lunatic

I think traction control would ruin the S2000 though. There is no place for t/c in a sportscar. I'll stick my neck out here but if someone thinks they needs t/c in the S2000 they are in the wrong car
Old 06-11-2003, 03:18 AM

TC is for girls
Old 06-11-2003, 03:36 AM

it makes me wonder how anyone could actually crash something like an Evo?? The only scenario I can come up with is getting your entry speed all wrong...certainly from the apex onwards I take it that it's just a case of planting your right foot and letting the car do the work

Doesn't seem much fun.....I must get to drive one and actually see for myself, until then I'll have to reserve judgement but can't say the idea of one of these cars appeals on the basis of this very limited introduction to 'driver aids'
Old 06-11-2003, 04:00 AM

Originally posted by zero_to60
....Doesn't seem much fun.....I must get to drive one and actually see for myself, until then I'll have to reserve judgement but can't say the idea of one of these cars appeals on the basis of this very limited introduction to 'driver aids'
Paul,

I don't know, but I suspect there is gonna be a bit more difference between the A2 and an Evo, mate!!

San.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:04 AM

yeah San I apreciate that but.....the principle is the same i.e the car will do some or most of the work for you....the S2000 does none of the work for you
Old 06-11-2003, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by zero_to60
yeah San I apreciate that but.....the principle is the same i.e the car will do some or most of the work for you....the S2000 does none of the work for you
And that's how we want to keep it
Old 06-11-2003, 05:46 AM

The LSD is doing quite a lot of work for you.

Any car is easy to lose just go into a corner 20mph too fast, and no traction control is going to sort that out for you.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:12 AM

I'll only want traction control on my S the second after I loose it and plough off the road!
Old 06-11-2003, 06:21 AM

A truly switchable traction control (on or completely off) would make the car a much better proposition as a daily driver. I'm sure you would be glad of it on a rainy night after a 12 hour shift at work.

Didn't the JDM Mugen's (or Spoons?) have a traction control in their ecu?
Old 06-11-2003, 06:34 AM

I guess a switchable system would be of value but I am sure the temptation would be there to leave it switched on all the time.....

I find the Audi system far too intrusive

Quick Reply: Traction Control