UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track Rod end boot

Old 10-17-2012, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Rod end boot

I need to replace this, but not sure if I'll have time before the MOT or not . There doesn't seem to be any play, but the boot has split (PIC). Would this be an MOT fail?
Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 AM

Not a fail, but an advisory.

New one should only be a few quid.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:42 AM

£20 from Honda, which is fine but I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to do it!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:10 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottland
£20 from Honda, which is fine but I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to do it!
Why not take it with you when You get the MOT done and ask nicely? I'm sure a couple of beer tokens would do it, and you get to keep your hands clean.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 PM

If your replacing the track rod end you will also need your wheel alignment done afterwards.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottland
I need to replace this, but not sure if I'll have time before the MOT or not . There doesn't seem to be any play, but the boot has split (PIC). Would this be an MOT fail?
It's a fail from this year Scott, if you get one there are a few members down the garage this Sat so if you pop over I'm sure someone will jump on it,
Old 10-18-2012, 01:31 PM

Cheers Ray, no can do this weekend though. Guess I'll have to "work from home" next week
Old 10-18-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_s2k
If your replacing the track rod end you will also need your wheel alignment done afterwards.
If you put abit of tape around end of the track rod end before you unscrew it then you can be pretty sure you are in the ball park of the old track rod end position.

I have replaced lots this way and never had problems with the alignment afterwards. If the old track rod end was excessively worn then yes it would be worth getting it done at the same time as any play in the old ball joint will of affect the alignment.

This method is only any good if you replace like for like. If you use pattern parts then theres a chance of them being slightly longer or shorter which would put the alignment out of sync.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:18 PM

It's just the boot I'm replacing, so shouldn't have to remove the track rod end I hope.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:17 PM

Yeah fair point markforrester.
Marking or taping the threads before removal will get you back in line if the new part is the exact length as the old one.
For the cost of a pair of tyres if a mistake is made, usually by a grease monkey who couldn't care less, then an alignment could save you money in the long run.

If its just the boot that is being replaced then that's not an issue.
Hopefully not much grease has escaped or water got in to the boot to wear the balljoint and you get away with it.
Didn't realise you could buy the boots seperately from Honda. Handy to know though.

Quick Reply: Track Rod end boot