UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track racing the S

Old 04-18-2006, 12:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Track racing the S

I'm dying to take the S round a professional track this summer, as i've heard how brilliant the S is round a track. Im planning to take my father along too, so he can have a bash!

However, i live in Cumbria and i wish to know if theres a track close to me but i dont mind travelling a few hours.

Generally how much say 20 laps would cost?, would it invalidate my insurance and what other things do i need to take into account? (i also feel my tyres (bridgestone potanzas??) may not be upto it and they'll be knackered after ive finished!)

As i kid i used to race carts and was quite successful, but that was at the age of 13!, although it will be somewhat different.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

To "race" I think you need a proper race licence and you have to be kitted up etc.

If you mean you want to do a track day, which tend to be safe environments, with no competition, or timing then that is different

There are lots of different organisers. Make sure you use one which is in the ATDO.

www.bookatrack.com
www.motorsportvision.co.uk
www.circuitdays.co.uk

the list goes on.

You can get track day insurance, it is expensive though.

There are often trackdays posted in the Meets & Events forum. Bedford at the end of April for one example.

Some will run sessions - say 3 groups with beginners, intermediate and advanced, running a 20 minute session at a time. Then there is open pit lane, which means anyone can go out at any time.

Factor in the cost of tyres, brakes etc. too

HTH
Old 04-18-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure of tracks up North, but there are bound to be some.

Some may be better suited to beginners that others though.

As for the tyres, they'll be fine. You might get through a fair bit of tread mind!

Insurance wise, your standard cover won't stretch to the track. I've done a few tracks days now and have not bothered with insurance. It's not been a problem, but I'd think twice about pushing hard on tracks with little run off.

You'll also need a helmet.

I'd also recommend some training before you go out on the track. The 1st Lotus day at North Wield (www.carlimits.co.uk) is ideal, but probably too far away for you.

Apart from that it's great fun. I can't wait for my next outing!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Ian,
Yeah apologies for that, i mean a track days, not racing. Me and my father are dying to have a go.

I shall have a look at those sites.

cheers
Old 04-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Oulton Park is up north, not right next to you, but NW. Or there is the one in Scotland, which name escapes me right now!

www.motorsport-events.co.uk is another site to check. There are more listed on the s2kuk website too, some of which give discounts to s2kuk members.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:37 PM

I'd go for an "Airfield" style set up as a first timer, with large grass run off's & no Armco. Wider margin of error, and there will be errors! Mind you from what I have witnessed, it takes a surprisingly long time to stop on grass when sideways, but better that than using a your crumple zones against Armco. Can certianly recommend Bruntingthorpe in Leicestershire, there are plenty of others.

PS: suggest you update your profile with Model Year of your S, and perhaps your location.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:38 PM

You don't need a trackday organiser, at least not at Knockhill - you can pitch up there to open session trackdays, but depending on the type you may end up wheelbashing with chavved up Novas. Knockhill has helmet hire also, to save you buying your own, although if you plan on doing these a lot, better to acquire your own (more hygienic too )

You won't use as much rubber on a wet track day, but the Potenzas should be fine provided there is a reasonable amount of tread left on them

It does help to have someone show you the lines around the track if you don't know it - I am forever indebted to Gentoo for doing this for me at Knockhill. The local instructors will be even better for this, although they may charge depending on the set up on the day.

I think you are meant to have a warm up and down lap like F1 practice IIRC, and when you stop your session and park up (you won't be doing 20 laps in one go - you'll need breaks) be sure to leave the car in gear with the handbrake off.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:44 PM

There's Elvington in Yorkshire - an airfield site on an old bomber base. I think BookaTrack do sessions there. Not local to you, but a lot closer than most others!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Good call Mark
Old 04-18-2006, 12:56 PM

Some good advice so far. my 2p:-

Closest proper tracks to you are going to be:-
Croft, N. Yorks (fast, but supposed to be quite interesting)
Oulton Park, Cheshire (One of the best in the country)
Knockhill, Fife (?Scotland, anyway! Heard good things about)

Airfield days have more run-off but usually a less-interesting layout, no scenery, and can have a fair few stone-chips about - know a couple of people who've pebble-dashed bonnets at airfield days, but know others who haven't had a thing. As you can guess, I'm not an especial fan of them.

If you're taking the S on-track and are a newbie to trackdays, some advice:-
- DON'T go for a cheap day - there's likely to be more cars on-track at any one time (more crowded, less fun), and a lot will be track-spec old GTi's and similar, so you'll probably feel more vulnerable with your pride&joy!
- DO take advantage of instruction - will be best 20 quid spent of the whole day.
- DO change brake fluid (DOT 5.1 or Super DOT4) before you go - will make a difference to pedal-feel after heavy braking. Pads - others can comment if stock pads are up to the job, my GUESS would be not for very long at a time (10mins or so tops). But I wouldn't change to more aggressive pads if you're happy on-road with the stock ones - just think about how you treat them on-track, and take heed of the pedal-feel.
- DO change oil if it hasn't been done in last 4-6mths / 3-4k miles. Otherwise change straight after trackday. Filter should be OK for the 9k interval, so long as it's just the odd trackday. Take some spare oil with you - you'll be surprised how much it uses.

I would suggest an open pit-lane day. They appear to be more intimidating initially, but sometimes run a 'novice-only' 10-20mins at the start. And you'll really appreciate the flexibility of the day - I did 2 sessioned days then Open Pit, and haven't done a sessioned say since.
Big plus is you don't feel like you've got to get your 20-min's worth each session - with the 'teg I found 15mins and the brakes were grumbling, so it was right to come in and cool down.

Tyres - couldn't comment. Depends how you drive - the S02's are quite soft, wouldn't stay out too long at any one time in the dry. Another plus for open-pit days.

Organisers. I can highly recommend Bookatrack - very friendly team, well-marshalled events, decent prices, and don't put too many people on-track at once. Honda-Revolutions have a good rapport with them, and organise Honda-R days/sessions during the year (although note sessioned days, not open-pit).

Insurance - your road policy is likely to be void on-track. Three options:-
1) Go without, and chance it.
2) Go without, but try and get it towed onto-road if you have a big bump, THEN ring AA/RAC. Hearsay says it has been tried before, and as a result a couple of insurance co's are getting wise to it. But not confirmed, only gossip.
3) Purchase a set level of cover from Competition Car Insurance - I paid c.110 quid for 8k of cover on my 'teg, one driver. For two drivers and around 12k of cover, probably still under 200 notes...but it's not cheap! You won't need cover to the full value of the vehicle either, just enough for repairs. Engines not usually covered, unless it's crash damage not blowing up.

Hope all that helps a bit. Above all, enjoy it - that's what you're paying for!!! Plan in advance, then enjoy the day!

Quick Reply: Track racing the S