UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track day insurance.

Old 01-14-2003, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will definitely shorten the life of consumables doing a track day - to some extent how much is up to you.

Tyres. Depends on driving style, expect to scrub them off a bit, especially the outer edges of the fronts, and if you wat to tailslide round every corner the rears as well. In the wet, there is less friction so tyre wear is reduced, you should also increase tyre pressures a bit to prolong life while on the track. Also, new tyres wear quicker due the the tread blocks being taller. Generally, the faster you corner, the more you'll take off your tyres, but not many people come away from a track day with illegal tyres unless they really go for it.

Brakes. Slowing the car continually from high speeds takes it's toll on brake pads and the heat generated can boil brake fluid which leads to bubbles in the pipes, a spongy feeling in the brakes and the need to have them bled. However, you won't wear out a set of pads in one track day, and you can take steps to reduce the heat build up, for instance always doing a couple of slower cool-down laps before returning to the paddock to allow air to get to the calipers.

Track driving will increase wear on parts, I once heard someone quote 10 miles on track being equal to 1 mile on the road as a comparison, but it depends on your style and how smooth you are with the controls - for instance, at the last airfield day, there were 2 very long straights with sharp corners at either end, to prevent brake fade (where heat causes the braking efficiency to reduce) I simply did charge down the straights hell for leather and brake at the last minute. I just coasted in to the corners under moderate braking from a slower speed.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Steve54
I'd love to do a track day but I'm just a little worried that I'd need new tyres, brakes n stuff after. Just looking at the cost of a day at the track, any thoughts......
Tyres I can't say, because both times I caned the car on those airfields it was wet (VERY wet in the case of Hullavington), However, brakes are another matter. I was coming up to my 27,000 service on original pads so I was not concerned about wear as I'd have needed new pads all round anyway. But I was unprepared for the wear that did occur. My wheels were black, thickly caked and baked. I went home with metal on metal and it took me 15/20 mins per wheel to get them clean. The dealer looked at the brakes next morning and said "DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR ANOTHER FOOT!"

So, next time, I think I will stop trying to pretend I am at Le Mans and first place is mine if I just knock 3/10ths off my lap times

I now know how well the car can brake (which is from 108 mph down to 35 in the time it takes for a digital camera to go through its focus and shoot routine ) so I don't need to destroy my brakes again. Next time, I shall concentrate solely on the balance and power-slide aspects - which were the best part of the day anyway - and if it's wet again, I won't even have any tyre wear!

Pete