UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track day insurance.

Old 01-13-2003, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Dracoro
btw - it's at Bedford autodrome SW circuit. anyone any experience here? any good?

UKJasonm - do you have contact details for the people you used? cheers.
I have only been on the full circuit (and it was a TVR corporate day so we were pampered I guess) but the organisation, facilities and staff are excellent.
The downside from my point of view was that it was difficult to learn the full circuit as there are no visual cues as to where you are on the circuit, on several occasions I braked sufficiently for a 90 degree corner only to be confronted with a hairpin and vice versa (v. scary in a 450bhp Tuscan racecar I can tell you!). It doesn't help that the full circuit is over 3 miles long.

I'm not sure which circuit you mean by SW (I thought they were N, S, E and W) - but with a smaller circuit you should have no problems learning which corner is next, and with an excellent surface, good runoff (it used to be an airfield) and excellent facilities, you should have a good day. Have fun.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by PWE 896
My mate asked him to check out the competition car insurance cover prior to Hullavington and he concluded, after examining the exclusions and caveats, that it was very expensive and not worth the paper it was written on
I agree its expensive but you have to put that into perspective,
Old 01-14-2003, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by UKjasonm
Its obviously much better if your covered by your own insurance but Ive known this in the past where they increase the excess to something like 5K in which case you could use the on event insurance to cover the excess.

You pays your money and takes your chance.
I think that excesses were part of the "caveat" problem. I think that mechanical parts were excluded also. I don't know the details, only that the guy has been a top UK insurance broker head honcho type person with an eye for detail that would rival any kestrel, and he gave it a thumbs down. Just passing that on FWIW

Pete
Old 01-14-2003, 01:30 AM

Sorry I am quite new to the site, can someone fill me in on the details of the next meet/trackday?

Thanks
Old 01-14-2003, 01:33 AM

It's the SW (or west i guess) circuit. It's the most commonly used one and is 2.7 miles long.

Will, seems like I'm covered by my ins (Tesco) so should be OK.

Will defo need new tyres afterwards tho (the rears haven't much life in them anyway so it's a good way to finish them off ). Anyone recommend a tyre place near Bedford Autodrome? (will be getting S02's.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DanH
[B]Sorry I am quite new to the site, can someone fill me in on the details of the next meet/trackday?
Old 01-14-2003, 02:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]I think that mechanical parts were excluded also.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wasn't mechanical failure IIRC; it was "damage" regardless of how caused. IOW if you hit something and f*cked up your suspension or whatever, it wasn't covered
Old 01-14-2003, 02:39 AM

Mark,

Thanks for the reply, sorry to hear about the prang. As it happens I live about 4 miles from Pete, and will hopefully be meeting up with him at some point this week.

Look forward to joining the adventure at a track soon. Just for some extra info, my insurance is with Norwich Union, I just had a look at the policy, and it quite clearly restricts any driving other than on the road!!

Dan
Old 01-14-2003, 03:11 AM

On a track theme, can I ask about the effects on tyres and brakes ect..

I'd love to do a track day but I'm just a little worried that I'd need new tyres, brakes n stuff after. Just looking at the cost of a day at the track, any thoughts......

Quick Reply: Track day insurance.