UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track day - is this a good deal?

Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=GavB,Aug 18 2008, 11:30 AM] If
Old 08-18-2008, 05:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mad Mart,Aug 18 2008, 01:28 PM
It's a fast track, as has been said, but watch out for Quarry! or it'll bite you in the arse.

It's not too bad a corner, but comes after a blind crest so it's easy to go in too fast.

The problem with sessions is everybody goes out together, and you waste most of the session just trying to get into some clear air.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=m1bjr,Aug 18 2008, 02:35 PM] Feck me, thats like
Old 08-18-2008, 06:47 AM
MBK

Here is a video of Combe shot from out Fiesta ST, with the corner names/gear/speeds etc on (taken from a Racelogic Performance Box). We used the ST for the missus to learn to drive on track, it was a good car to start out in. You will of course be going quite a bit faster in an S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySvNnpAmRqE

The main thing seems to be to get the car settled after Avon Rise before braking for Quarry. From what I have seen people either come off becuase they start braking through Avon Rise, putting the car into a spin and hitting the barriers backwards or they just carry too much speed in and can't stop in time.

If you want to know more about Quarry do a Youtube search for crashes at Quarry. I knew it was infamous but I had no idea there were so many offs there!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:44 AM

When is this, might turn up to watch, CC is 20 minutes down the road from me.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:04 AM

oooh! any excuse to show a video.

Me at CC
Old 08-18-2008, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds interesting. My first ever track day was at CC, and it was in sessions. Needless to say I was in the beginner class and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though I had man flu at the time

CC is a very fast track with little or no run off in the corners that matter (Quarry, Tower and Camp). That said, so long as you don't drive like a complete tool you should be fine. As you'll be having instruction you'll be told the danagers of these corners and how to approach them, so listen to the instructor and take his advise onboard. I think you'll find that you will get more than 10 minutes each session (so long as there are no accidents). From memory the sessions I did at CC I could easily get in 10 laps before pullin goff into the pits, but there might have been fewer car on track so it's a bit hard to say. However Dembo is right, because you all leave the pits at once it's hard to find some space for the first couple of laps. That said CC is nice and wide and the faster people will be able to get past easily so don't worry about that so much.

Good luck and have fun
Old 08-18-2008, 11:41 AM

I've only been at CC once for a sprint so I can only talk about 3/4 of the lap as I haven't done the last two corners :-)

The track is reasonably wide so passing shouldn't be a problem. I imagine on a track day you'd get traffic at the chicanes but holding some corner speed in the fast corners will rocket you past drivers. Quarry wasn't too bad, you have plenty of time to brake after the left hander (avon) going into it, don't lift off or brake in avon (lift off before avon and power through it if you think you're going too fast). Give it a late turn in and feed to power in progressively.

Seeing as it's vid time, here's a vid of my run - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1UPjk8dBwM
Old 08-18-2008, 12:11 PM

I don't know if i'm more scared now than i was.. looks like carnage!

Simonprelude - we'll be there on 16th October if i don't bottle out after seeing so many cars destroyed on video

might get some insurance! (do adrian flux do track day insurance?)
Old 08-18-2008, 12:13 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Si - I can put you in touch with someone good who I used for Donny and Spa. Not cheap though

Quick Reply: Track day - is this a good deal?