UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track Day Choice

Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

I should add that, despite the wide array of machinery, I only had one 'incident' where a particularly grumpy 911 overtook me without invitation when a few of us were temporarily stuck behind a clearly novice BaTCat and proceeded to tailgate the novice. Apart from that, everyone was very courteous and drove well. There were two red flags, both cleared very quickly and the rain stayed away until 4pm, luckily! I also had a lot of clear laps, obviously a result of the 'undercrowding' employed by the slightly more expensive Bookatrack.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:18 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Glad you enjoyed it, I must get back to Donington sometime.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:52 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd like to sort an S2ki trackday out sometime soon, Si. Will PM you and see if we can come up with something.

CP, glad you enjoyed it. BaT are first rate.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:07 PM

Agreed. I particularly liked the comment by the safety briefer, "keep an eye on your mirrors, lots of novices blah blah blah, however, you guys in the radicals and track cars are the ones out of place here. It's a TRACK day, not TEST or RACE day".

I'd be interested in a S2k day. It would be good to get a passenger ride with someone who really knows what they're doing in the same car.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Well I did Donington yesterday, great fun! As I exited Hollywood on the siting lap, my girlfriend and I simultaneously shouted through our helmets, "Wow!" at teh sight of Craner Curves into the Old Hairpin. It's truly an impressive sight! I did take it pretty easy and built up to an entry speed of around 80, exiting around 85-90. Not that impressive, but enough to get a few yelps from my gf and my Dad! I'd upgraded the pads to DS2500, as I knew the GP circuit was a brake breaker. They were excellent. I managed 25min sessions and I got the Bridgestones hot enough to get 'rolls' of soft rubber developing on the surface, something I'd only managed with Goodyears before now. Clearly they're now the weak link. I got up to 110 on the back straight before braking for the Esses, depending on my exit speed from the previous corner (the name escapes me, but the the 'over the crest' blind entry does not!), which I don't think is too shabby. I could probably have braked a touch later, but I wasn't racing, and the car would have started to be unsettled into the Esses. I tried some trail braking into the Esses and the following hairpin with some success (although my exit speed from the Esses decreased). And the final hairpin (Goddards?) requires sooo much patience, especially with the small run off on to the pit straight.

I think I'll be back at Donington before long, as some of the corners are so complex and/or need a lot of confidence that I still feel there's a lot to be learned there. I nailed some of the simpler corners a few times, even managing the first part of Craner a few times without changing steering angle (which is a good effort, according to my instructor!), but there's plenty I could improve upon.

There was a very wide selection of cars there; old MR2, FN2, Ferrari 308, plenty of Caterfields, a couple of Radicals, a DB9 GT4, plenty of 911s of various years and GT levels, a BMW M Coupe Breadvan and a couple of Clio Cup cars. The breadvan was giving it some, particularly plenty of oversteer on the exit of the loop hairpin, which made me yearn for more power/torque, but there wasn't anything apart from super fast kit (GT3, Caterfields, a track prepped old M3 and Radicals) that was overtaking me by the end of the day.
Glad you had a good day

Personally I think Donington is average and 85-90 was what I was taking Craners in the wet on R888s, so you have lots of capacity in your car before craving more power

It has slight positive camber on the inside so when you think you are going too fast, you hit the groove and sail around.

Macleans was the only real tricky corner I suppose, other than that it was average (although since it's your first track day you'll think it's amazing).

Here is my mate buzzing round in my car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjBeim5qrf4
Old 08-07-2012, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Glad you had a good day

Personally I think Donington is average and 85-90 was what I was taking Craners in the wet on R888s, so you have lots of capacity in your car before craving more power

It has slight positive camber on the inside so when you think you are going too fast, you hit the groove and sail around.

Macleans was the only real tricky corner I suppose, other than that it was average (although since it's your first track day you'll think it's amazing).

Not my first track day, but my first trip to Donny. It's very different to the airfield days I've done (obviously) and Oulton Park, so I did find it impressive, but I can understand why you'd get bored once you'd nailed the circuit. I found the most fun bits the Esses and hairpins, as there was space to push under braking, and get a little bit of oversteer without potential consequences (due to lower speeds). The rest (once my lines are sorted and I've progressed up to max speed for the car) is quick, but there's not much 'playing' room due to the high speed. Plenty of potential for squeaky bum moments though!

I know I wasn't exactly lightning through Craners, but I'm still slightly nervous of higher speed 'offs' (esp after my trip into the barrier at Druids, Oulton Park), so I was staying well within my limits. Hence I'd love to get a passenger lap in an S round there, so I can be confident of how fast the car will go through those sections, rather than how fast my current set of janglies will let me!

Still, much fun had, which is the point I susppose! Plus learning more, which is why it stays interesting.