UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track Day Choice

Old 04-20-2012, 06:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Re: Brake dust, I'm not seeing a big difference but perhaps that will change as time goes on as I have read
other members posts saying that they can be alot dustier. I've only had these for a few weeks as previously
mentioned.

I've found stopping power with the Dixcels to be significantly better than OEM. The difference is night and day when warmed up. I'm running the same tyres as before the brakes setup was changed.

If you found the OEM brakes to be good enough for the track, I can only assume that my oem brakes were in pretty bad shape. My experience of them were awful.
I couldn't go back to them for road use nevermind considering them for track usage.

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Have to disagree, brake dust is much worse with the Dixcels, and the stopping power is not better (as that's down to the tyres) but you certainly get more stopping power with less pressure (as mentioned above by Lower), so it seems that way.

You do, of course, get no fade, which is the main benefit for track day work, and they will take a lot more repeated punishment than the OEMs.

There's nothing wrong whatsoever with OEM for road use IMO. I've used them on track days and they were fine, provided some care was taken.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:44 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

He was responding to me, but I'm not cutting holes in my car

My first set lasted a long time - around 5 or 6 track days - that was with the plain discs. Last year, I went through 2 sets, both of which only lasted for 2 track days each. Certainly I've become more confident in braking later and harder, and one has to accept greater wear. However, the current set (now with plain discs) seem to have held up much better after Oulton.

Track days will cost you in brake pads (as well as fuel, tyres, oil etc) and up to a point, you simply have to accept it if you want to drive in a certain way.

As I say above, you can manage perfectly well on OEM brakes provided you're sympathetic to their limitations. In the same way as if you try to brake and corner on road tyres as you would using R-compound tyres, you'll be off the circuit in no time.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:19 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Aye, I'm specifically not going to sticky rubber, as I prefer to have 'moments' at a lower speed! I'm not really interested in lap times, but more challenging myself to do better with what i've got and having fun. Brakes will just let me have longer fun per session!

I think I'm erring towards Donnington, with an upgrade of pads, and possibly some brake ducts. I think I might need some new front tyres by then too.

Any particular reason for using different compounds front and rear?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:37 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Aye, I'm specifically not going to sticky rubber, as I prefer to have 'moments' at a lower speed! I'm not really interested in lap times, but more challenging myself to do better with what i've got and having fun. Brakes will just let me have longer fun per session!

I think I'm erring towards Donnington, with an upgrade of pads, and possibly some brake ducts. I think I might need some new front tyres by then too.

Any particular reason for using different compounds front and rear?
That's exactly the right attitude for track days. The main benefit of the Dixcels is more time on the circuit.

The different compound thing is down to the rears usually getting hotter than the fronts, as they are less well ventilated, not vented and are smaller. therefore, you need a better compound there to make up for it.

Put simply, the rears are rubbish, so you need to compensate.

I don't think there's really a need for ducts at this stage of your track career. Learning where to put the car on the circuit is the main concern.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're getting fade quickly, lift off the throttle for second before you get to the braking point. Energy is proportional to the square of the speed so those few mph less make a difference. It works remarkably well. And it's the corners that are the fun bit.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:23 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Or you could not brake at all and do the RRalston sideways challenge!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Put simply, the rears are rubbish, so you need to compensate.

I don't think there's really a need for ducts at this stage of your track career. Learning where to put the car on the circuit is the main concern.
Gotcha.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by chilled
If you're getting fade quickly, lift off the throttle for second before you get to the braking point. Energy is proportional to the square of the speed so those few mph less make a difference. It works remarkably well. And it's the corners that are the fun bit.
I tend to treat the brakes like this anyway, tis all about the exit speed, not entry, or so I've learned!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Donington every time for me. One of my three favourites (along with cadwell and oulton). I've never done Rockingham though to be fair. I nearly booked it just for the crack a couple of years back then watched some on board laps and thought "nah that looks dire like boring yank indy track". Only my opinion though.

One word of caution though if the conditions are damp/wet give Craner the utmost respect. I'd driven the track loads in the dry and had completed 20 laps in the wet when snap the car went at right angles in the middle of Craner at 90+mph and I found myself on the grass sliding sideways at speed until I hit the gravel at the bottom of it. How the car didn't roll is beyond me! (came very close though when it hit the gravel )

If you don't believe me watch Plato doing it in style the other year: Plato getting stuffed in Craner Curves!

Awesome track! Rockingham bah one to forget!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tailhappy
Donington every time for me. One of my three favourites (along with cadwell and oulton). I've never done Rockingham though to be fair. I nearly booked it just for the crack a couple of years back then watched some on board laps and thought "nah that looks dire like boring yank indy track". Only my opinion though.
That's what I always thought, but for some reason I've always had more fun driving at Rockingham than anywhere else this side of the Eiffel mountains.

Donington get jet fuel dumped on it, all day every day, so you can imagine what wet grip is like. I remember getting into a big tank slapper in the Craner Curves; that'll wake you up.

Quick Reply: Track Day Choice