UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track Day Choice

Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Originally Posted by lower' timestamp='1334914113' post='21626196
Spend your money on Dixcel Type R pads with your current discs rather than the DS2500. It seems to be a better combination and you get less chance of pad deposits causing vibration on your discs.
Interesting, do you mean the R01? How are the Dixcels on the road, as I do use the car for road trips too? I notice the Redstuffs are slightly less powerful from cold than OEM, but not enough to catch you out. However, I wouldn't want to go any less powerful when cold.
No, i meant the type Z but typed the wrong thing!

I had them front and rear on my last car with OEM rear discs and DBA4000 fronts for about 18 months and used them at Rockingham when Chilled crashed the BatCat we'd hired ( ). They were fine when cold, not quite as good as OEM but more than good enough and at any other time they were brilliant. Higher friction coefficient than DS2500 which means lower pedal pressures for the same braking effort. You have to learn to be a bit more sensitive with your right foot but otherwise the were excellent. Best pads i've had on the car and i had most things at one point or another.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Sensitivity shouldn't be a problem. Interestingly my instructor at Keevil remarked how good the brakes were on the S (with Redstuff). He kept asking me to brake too early until we went off track and did a brake test 80-0! He reckoned I drive 'with my fingers and toes', so I should cope ok with sensitive controls.

Sounds like some Type Z all round is the best way forward (I notice some recommendations to only used the R01 with track rubber). Then go and test them.... at Rockingham or Donny!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by lower
I had them front and rear on my last car with OEM rear discs and DBA4000 fronts for about 18 months and used them at Rockingham when Chilled crashed the BatCat we'd hired ( ).
Did you ever have issues with the rear OEM discs and the Type Z pad?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Originally Posted by lower' timestamp='1334918716' post='21626283

I had them front and rear on my last car with OEM rear discs and DBA4000 fronts for about 18 months and used them at Rockingham when Chilled crashed the BatCat we'd hired ( ).
Did you ever have issues with the rear OEM discs and the Type Z pad?
No. OEM rear discs were fine with all the pads i tried. It was always the fronts that seemed to have problems.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:02 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Traditional Dixcel setup is Z front/R-01 rear.

FWIW I went through a set of Zs in two days at Spa last year. My previous sets lasted much longer, perhaps due to the slotted discs I used last time.

I have a set of the new RA front pads to go on once my current Z pads are gone. - Hopefully they'll last a bit better
Old 04-20-2012, 04:10 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Brake cooling needed.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for Donington here.

Rockingham is evil in the wet - or was last time I was there 3 or 4 years ago. Unbelievably low levels of grip and more offs than I've ever seen before at a track day.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To chime in on my experience with brakes. I'm running Dixcel Z pads and Dixcel FCR plain discs all round.

In the 12 months of ownership of my S, I was fed up with oem brakes. They were pretty much useless
and with recent consideration of doing a few track days I wouldn't dream of using them.

Having used the Dixcel pads and discs for a few weeks, I find them quite similar to oem when cold, but as they warm up they
are in their own league. Stopping power is awesome. Daily road driving and braking is excellent. High speed
driving is even better and emergency braking is no longer a worry.

Brake dust is not any worse than OEMs, however there is a small amount of brake squeal. Nothing embarrassingly loud or anything.

I've been told that these are fine for occasional trackday use but if you do it more regularly then the RA pads are the ones to go for.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:05 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Have to disagree, brake dust is much worse with the Dixcels, and the stopping power is not better (as that's down to the tyres) but you certainly get more stopping power with less pressure (as mentioned above by Lower), so it seems that way.

You do, of course, get no fade, which is the main benefit for track day work, and they will take a lot more repeated punishment than the OEMs.

There's nothing wrong whatsoever with OEM for road use IMO. I've used them on track days and they were fine, provided some care was taken.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by MB
Brake cooling needed.
Is that in response to Lovegroova using a set in 2 days, or just in general?

Quick Reply: Track Day Choice