UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track Day Choice

Old 04-20-2012, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, Rockingham just doesn't flow as well as Donington. It feels too stop-start and you never get a rhythm going, whereas Donington has a nice flow and elevation changes too, which is always fun (sweeping down the Craner Curves is something everyone should try, along with Paddock Hill Bend at Brands).

And while there are a lot of high speed corners, there's also a lot of run off, so consequences are usually no more than mud coming in the passenger windows

The GP loop doesn't really add much, but the last time I was there with BaT, Jonny decided to use the GP in the morning and the National in the afternoon due to people asking - so you could get to do both is you ask.

Donny for me every time.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:47 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Do both
Haha! It may happen if funds and time allow, but need to choose one to definitely do first. If I do another, I'd like to do Anglesey. I'd also like to get back to Oulton in the dry, preferably without getting to know the barrier...
Old 04-20-2012, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Do neither, and use up your Bookatrack vouchers at Spa in July!
Yes! This was my first thought, but we can't make it unfortunately. I would love to drive Spa, maybe next year!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:28 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Spend your money on Dixcel Type R pads with your current discs rather than the DS2500. It seems to be a better combination and you get less chance of pad deposits causing vibration on your discs.

I've driven both Rockingham and Donington quite a few times. Both great circuits, but i do prefer Donington. Craner curves are brilliant and the new chicane just before the pit entrance on the start finish straight is much better than the old one if you do the national circuit.

Rockingham is fun, but despite Donington feeling like a shorter circuit it takes a lot more finesse to get each corner right. I must have driven there 20 times+ and still haven't strung all the corners together in one lap in a way that i'd be happy with. I also find the banking at Rockingham pretty boring.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DONNINGTON

ginger
Old 04-20-2012, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by lower
Spend your money on Dixcel Type R pads with your current discs rather than the DS2500. It seems to be a better combination and you get less chance of pad deposits causing vibration on your discs.
Interesting, do you mean the R01? How are the Dixcels on the road, as I do use the car for road trips too? I notice the Redstuffs are slightly less powerful from cold than OEM, but not enough to catch you out. However, I wouldn't want to go any less powerful when cold.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:21 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

I use the Dixcels (Z front, R-01 rear) on the road and they are fine. Not quite as good from cold as OEM, but certainly nothing to worry about.

I usually swap the pads back to OEM for the winter anyway...
Old 04-20-2012, 02:38 AM

I use the Dixcels (Z front, R-01 rear) on the road and they are fine. Not quite as good from cold as OEM, but certainly nothing to worry about.

Cheers Groova,

Eeek! Twice the price of Redstuff!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1334917306' post='21626247

Cheers Groova,

Eeek! Twice the price of Redstuff!
Hence my use of OEM for winter!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:44 AM

Hence my use of OEM for winter!
Good idea.

But I suspect I'll be too lazy once they're on the car. I'm only doing 5000 miles a year these days, so they ought to last 2-3 years (Redstuffs lasted 30k miles inc a couple of track days, but I'm pretty easy on the brakes on the road).

Quick Reply: Track Day Choice