UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Toulouse to Monaco

Old 04-16-2013, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toulouse to Monaco

Has anyone done the drive from Toulouse to Monaco? It's the last bit of my Summer road trip that I need to plan. We've got 3 days to get from Toulouse to Monaco. It'll be last week of August so riviera has the potential to be really hideously busy.

Can anyone recommend any good drives / out of the way villages / nice places to go?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We did a Monaco trip last year. It depends on how long you want to drive it over. We started the south coast part in Agay and stayed there but went the coastal road to St Tropez and also from Agay through Cannes, Nice and onto Monaco. The DN7 just north of Agay takes you through some kind of mountainy park with really good empty driving roads, good enough for the missus to make me suffer from travel sickness. The coastal route has lots of layby's to stop off in and take pictures. Lots of mountain bikers along the route, most were quite forthcoming in their appreciation of the S2000. Highly recommended. Think we are going to try the Almalfi coast in Italy this year.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:07 AM

Just had a look on Google Earth - DN7 looks like a good recommendation, thanks.

Almalfi coast is the dream, wish we had enough time to get there! Very jealous! Next year...
Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the Amalfi coast in a hire care last year. I wouldn't trust the locals on those roads with my S lol.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,

I did a similar drive a few years ago although my destination was Nice rather than Monaco, but its the same way .

Not sure about stunning roads, but I took the opportunity to detour slightly and head for the Millau Viaduct-well worth the time if you're into that sort of thing.

The drive to Nice was spent on the Peages trying to recoup the time I'd lost driving out of my way to go over a bridge (a couple of times ).
Old 04-16-2013, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by sbaylis
Has anyone done the drive from Toulouse to Monaco? It's the last bit of my Summer road trip that I need to plan. We've got 3 days to get from Toulouse to Monaco. It'll be last week of August so riviera has the potential to be really hideously busy.

Can anyone recommend any good drives / out of the way villages / nice places to go?

I've done this area a few times, not in the S, mk2 Mexico, nice part of the world, cavalaire sur mer is nice, not so busy and close to some of the big towns in that area, Cogolin port is nice too.

Have a good trip, don't forget some pickies. . . .
Old 04-16-2013, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Carcassonne along the the canal du midi through Capestang to beziers is a nice road, long tree lined road, great villages.
Only done main roads down to Nice.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-16-2013, 08:33 PM

Monaco and Amalfi are two places I would love to drive to also. Amalfi is a bit out of my time schedule though .
Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 AM

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

I'll be doing this route in June but starting further along in Montpellier after a run down from st malo. I'm planning on doing a thread on the journey so watch this space. I'll try and let you know if we find any good roads to try.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are so many things I could tell you to do, but trying to keep it manageable to 3 days I will limit to what I think are must do.
Visit Cassis and go and see Le Calanques, by boat if you have the time.
Drive through The Camargue having a meal at Le Cours in Saint-Gilles-Du-Gard. (Be sure you have a full tank as petrol stations are few and far between).
Drive on the inland side of Etang de Thau, having lunch of sea food at one of the fishing villages like Bouzigues. You can see the oyster beds and late August is the ideal time to see the flocks of pink flamingo's.
Visit Saint Guihem le Desert, touristy but one of the beautiful villages of France.
Drive around Le Circ de Navacelles, being sure to visit the viewing point overlooking it.
Drive along L'Herault Valley.
Have a meal at Oliver Bontemps in Magalas. Fantastic food but unusual as there is no menu, you tell him how many courses you want and what you don't like. He cooks you a meal of what he thinks is appropriate.
If you can spare the day have a trip on Le Petite Train Jaune. Takes you through the Pyrenees with stunning scenery.
Carcassonne is worth a visit although again touristy.
DON'T go over the Millau Bridge unless you want to tick a box, waste £8 and be bored, you can't see anything, far better driving down the twisty Route de Cavalerie into Millau eating lunch in a little restaurant in Nant. You get great views of the bridge and you can play on the twisty road.
Many will disagree but this is what I get pleasure from. Plenty more to tell you if you want more information.

Quick Reply: Toulouse to Monaco