UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Topgear going down the Evo route?

Old 03-02-2003, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aaaaaagggggghhhhhh, they didnt. It was in issue number 91, ie 2 years ago. You can find this in the new car data section in the second to last column

do you seriously think they could include an MG, Beetle, and a MR2 without including ours? Are you crazy.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:32 PM

OK. I can see that it says issue 91, but then tell me how an issue two years ago (i.e. March/April 2001) could conceivably have reported on the MY02, which didn't hit the streets until (at very earliest) late 2001..........?

Maybe the half-page to which I referred didn't constitute a "road test" but I'm SURE that they covered it during a 2002 edition. It was either the same month or the month after Evo's roadtest of the MY02, which having just checked was in issue 42 (February 2002, I think).

As for what I think they're capable of doing? No, I'm not crazy. But I've enough experience of motoring journos to know that they're capable of the strangest of oversights and decisions.
Old 03-02-2003, 12:35 PM

maybe they did write up about it but obviously doesnt constitute a road test. Their new car soundbyte seems to suggest they really like the car, not got issue 91 to see what they said. wonder if its covered on a thread....was it in last years best cars, or the year before????
Old 03-02-2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by neil_s2k
Secondly the Ford Focus RS - which we are always being told is massively floored and undrivable on the public road because of torque steer - not only gets drivers car of the year, but also car of the year overall
Remember that these are the same people that voted the Fiat Multipla car of the year a couple of years back. I mean, apart from being a total minger, it's made by Fiat, so reliability, quality and dealer service are lowest of the low. For any lucky people never to have come across one of them, here's a piccy.

btw, the RS is flawed
Old 03-02-2003, 10:58 PM

Apologies for my speling

I'm right! They did review the 02 model, looked into my collection while I was up in the loft yesterday (I'm going to have to dump some of these magazines before my ceiling caves in ). Forgotten which month, but they basically said that the car was great before the 02 and just as good with the new car - just a bit different.
Old 03-02-2003, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by neil_s2k
Apologies for my speling

I'm right! They did review the 02 model, looked into my collection while I was up in the loft yesterday (I'm going to have to dump some of these magazines before my ceiling caves in ). Forgotten which month, but they basically said that the car was great before the 02 and just as good with the new car - just a bit different.
THAT PUTS THAT TO BED
Old 03-02-2003, 11:52 PM

At the end of the day a Magazine's primary focus is to make money through advertising and circulation. The primary revenue stream though comes from advertising. The actual circulation of the magazine is simply a justification and a reason why the advertisers place the ads in the first place and continue to do so.

As with the decision makers in any business they will be influenced by 'the bottom line'. These magazine are not 'reference' material. They are views/opinions and can be biased one way or the other.

If I were an editor I'd not be too concerened about alienating a relatively tiny proportion of their potenial readerhip by ignoring the S2000

It's just something we S2000 owners must accept. I am pretty sure that any professional racing driver would have a ball in the Honda. That's all I need to know to be honest

I do think Honda while having commercial considerations when designing the car used it as a show piece of their engineering excellence in terms of chassis, engine and suspension design. I can't think anyone in Honda loses any sleep over what UK Magazines say. At the end of the day they've always been heavily in favour of European cars and reluctant to give the Japanse manufactures the credit they deserve. They will give complements but are always qualified with a but.......

The S2000 is ignored largely I believe due to simple commericial considerations, the volumes sold mean that the potential readership that owns the car is so small as to be insignificant
Old 03-03-2003, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Graham Munro

THAT PUTS THAT TO BED
then why does the current magazine say back issue 91?????????????????????

Obviously the 02 review was not a full review

I am getting mad now, next one to disagree I challenge to a duel
Old 03-03-2003, 09:08 AM

Don't make me go back in my loft to find it

I accept your challenge
Old 03-03-2003, 09:11 AM

right then you are on

handbags at 20 paces.

Quick Reply: Topgear going down the Evo route?