UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Topgear going down the Evo route?

Old 03-01-2003, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Topgear going down the Evo route?

Just got TopGear magazine this month, and it seems that they are going down the same road as Evo with conflicting opinions each month.

Firstly the S wasn't featured in either the convertible or drivers car's sections of the awards, even though they heap praise on it every time they have one.

Secondly the Ford Focus RS - which we are always being told is massively floored and undrivable on the public road because of torque steer - not only gets drivers car of the year, but also car of the year overall. Has Ford upped their advertising budget recently???

Thirdly, and best of all, last month the Z3 in the used car of the month section was described as having excellent handling - this must have been a joke, I've never heard anyone describe the Z3 as being excellent in any area
Old 03-01-2003, 02:25 PM

Just goes to show - its all about money these days rather than the truth.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:02 AM

I initially thought the same as you but the awards are only for cars they have tested in the previous year, and the S hasn't been tested. I expect this to be a contender in next years as I think they will retest this year , they love it in their short write up in the new car section

I beleive their is a road test in a magazine this month. Can't rememer the mag, as it was when I was browsing in WHSmiths, must go and have a look
Old 03-02-2003, 05:30 AM

They must have tested the MY02 model last year.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:54 AM

Can you believe that Clarkson voted the S2K as the best convertible in the Times, but I suspect that the mick and the cockney (right car wrong car) put there ill in formed view forward. I don
Old 03-02-2003, 08:57 AM

I'm seeing far too many S's on the roads lately. The exclusive club thing seems to be evapourating.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:01 AM

Originally posted by Chris Type R
I'm seeing far too many S's on the roads lately. The exclusive club thing seems to be evapourating.
Lifes a bitch, and then you die
or roll on death the working mans friend
Old 03-02-2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by neil_s2k
They must have tested the MY02 model last year.
no they didnt
Old 03-02-2003, 11:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Graham Munro
[B]Can you believe that Clarkson voted the S2K as the best convertible in the Times, but I suspect that the mick and the cockney (right car wrong car) put there ill in formed view forward. I don
Old 03-02-2003, 12:05 PM

Moggy, I think you'll find they did. It wasn't a major multi-page "proper" roadtest, but there was certainly a piece (probably only half a page or so) in which they reported on their test drive of the 02 model. I haven't kept my back issues so I'm afraid I can't tell you which issue, but I am certain that they covered the release of the S with a mini-review of the updates.

Might be referred to in The Knowledge section towards the back of the mag, against the S2000 entry?

Quick Reply: Topgear going down the Evo route?