UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Top Gear S2 and other test on closed roads!!

Old 09-13-2003, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gear S2 and other test on closed roads!!

Just got back from holiday to learn that a really fast stretch of the Isle of Man TT course is going to be closed off Wednesday and Thursday this week to record a Top Gear road test.

According to the local dealer, there wil be an S, some German crap (including a 6 series something or other manufactured by a bubblecar maker - Messerschidt?) and, did I mention they will be testing an S?

No idea whether it's for the tv show or mag or both, but anyway, I'm going to be taking some extended lunch breaks to drive up there and see if I can't get a plug in for the old S2

Might hand out a few calling cards while I'm there;
Old 09-13-2003, 01:09 PM

get some pics, especially if its the "new" model
Old 09-13-2003, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice one, look forward to any info and pics
Old 09-13-2003, 01:34 PM

Chuck an egg at JC for us will ya, MB
Old 09-13-2003, 11:43 PM

If it is the 2004 model, see if you can get in the background waving a "Bring back 9K RPM" placard.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:17 AM

Old 09-14-2003, 10:44 AM

Will try to do all the above
Old 09-14-2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by XBy2K
If it is the 2004 model, see if you can get in the background waving a "Bring back 9K RPM" placard.
"Say you want a revolution"
"...."
"....."
Old 09-17-2003, 05:21 PM

Nipped up there today and it was a bit crap. From what I could see they had a Box Porkster and a Z4 and they were also doing something with some Beemers - nothing special except for a M1 (got one photo from the rear before it disappeared).

Can't help thinking this is all being stage managed by the local dealer (who owns Audi, VW, BMW and Porsche franchises on the Island) as there were a couple of local's cars involved, not demonstrators, nothing like what Honda are doing apparently (bringing a car from the UK for the test).

JC is in attendance tomorrow apparently so I'll be going back, even though it's forecast to rain, and hopefully there'll be a bit more action to see.

It's all in aid of the new series starting in October apparently?
Old 09-18-2003, 12:06 PM

Went back today and it was rather more promising. There was a nice (new colour red) S2000 and the Z4 and Porkster that were there yesterday. Anyhow, after my adrenalin rush in getting there (5 miles of mountain road in about 4 mins) Clarkson rolls up and it's his turn in the S. Took a few snapshots and he set off.

While he was held up waiting for cameras and had some still photos taken (I put myself in the background so you if they end up in the mag, you'll be able to spot me by my 'offoicial' S2ki cap) I wandered over and asked JC if there was ny chance of a plug for the owners club, offering him my cap. He didn't take me up on that, but did start asking about the club, did I own an S, etc. I didn't know what to expect, but he seemed very genuine and not at all stuck up and disinterested - his persona on tv it seems is just a 'front'!

He asked me if I knew what they were doing there to which I replied that I didn't and he explained he and the other presenters wanted to settle an argument about which was best out of the above 3 cars. They decided the only way to do it was to come to the Isle of Man where road closures are easily done and there are no speed limits anyway.

JC was utterly convinced the S is the best in case you had to guess the answer and we had a quick chat about the futility of the argument. All in all, I liked it that he was happy to chat and took a few iccies which I'm now going to try to insert below - hope they're not too big a file size:

don't know if I like this colour but at least I've seen one now

9k 9k 9k!!

"Get that German crap out the way!!"

Job done!

Quick Reply: Top Gear S2 and other test on closed roads!!