UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

"Top Gear" magazine

Old 05-08-2002, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Top Gear" magazine

......has in the June edition a shortish review of the MY2002 S2000. The review is nothing special in itself, but I thought the verdict was worthy of being quoted:

"One of our favourite cars just got better. We love it."

Amen to that, brothers and sisters!
Old 05-08-2002, 01:01 PM

Top Gear have always been fans of the car, when the likes of Motor, Car and especially EVO were pretty rough on the car in their tests
Old 05-08-2002, 10:51 PM

Yes and who has gone back to Top Gear but JC him self, speaks volumes all the others can sod of in my book, its the only mag I buy now.
Old 05-08-2002, 11:30 PM

I agree that Clarkson is a good person to have on board - mainly because he does not mince his words but as for Top Gear being the best car magazine.....Hmmmm.

It's OK if you like reading about the new C3 and vauxhall diesel but surely you guys with the S2000's should be more into EVO ?
Old 05-08-2002, 11:49 PM

I like the idea of EVO more than the execution. I just keep getting the impressions the journalists are a) Noth that objective or knowledgeable compared to other magazines, and b) Up their own arses (ie. a bit too self important for their own good).

Also in Top Gear this month, the doctor who didn't put any oil in his S2000 which siezed at 7500 miles. Honda didn't look like they were going to replace the engine for him until TG got involved....
Old 05-09-2002, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Lotusman
I agree that Clarkson is a good person to have on board - mainly because he does not mince his words but as for Top Gear being the best car magazine.....Hmmmm.

It's OK if you like reading about the new C3 and vauxhall diesel but surely you guys with the S2000's should be more into EVO ?
I didnt say it was the best just the one I buy, all the others I read at Smiths with my long rain coat on!
Old 05-09-2002, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by Ugly Bloke
Top Gear have always been fans of the car, when the likes of Motor, Car and especially EVO were pretty rough on the car in their tests
Even EVO managed to be complimentary about the MY02 S2000 when they put it head to head with the Boxster a couple of issues back.

It's taken a while, but they've finally seen the light!
Old 05-09-2002, 12:41 AM

I think EVO saw the light after somebody (other magazines' reviews) pointed them in the direction of the light. They still preferred the Boxster which came as no shock.
Old 05-09-2002, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by MarkB
I just keep getting the impressions the journalists are a) Noth that objective or knowledgeable compared to other magazines, and b) Up their own arses (ie. a bit too self important for their own good).
I work quite closely with some motoring journos and all I can say is I agree completely!

They're also cheapskates - if a manufacturer gives them a car to test drive without a full tank of petrol they won't drive it at all!!!

Alex.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also amazed about how little they actually know about how a car works - so very often they trot out complete trash when it comes to anything slightly technical.....

" and of course the new ABS system with its 5.1channels and subwoofer is much more predictable in the wet than the previous viscous coupling and strut suspension"

the other thing is they all love going on the Euro jolly - even though they pretend not to be impressed by the idylic surroundings provided by the car manufacturer, and then they provide information as if nobody has ever set foot out of their home county.

Quick Reply: "Top Gear" magazine