UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Too Good To Be True?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Good To Be True?

I've been searching high and low for my first S and finaly came across a bargain. Only thing is as the title says, Is it too good to be true?
Spec: Reg: 05 Milage 21,000 Colour: Silverslow Model: Alarm Roadster. £7500

After a little research Its had no previous, Has an MOT blah Blah. Basically everything matches up fine, so I e-mail the seller to ask what the catch is....
He Lives in Croatia!!
Now a lot would be put off by this but the Idea of a road trip with a couple of mates (One a very Good Mechanic) to Croatia, got me thinking what a great little drive back it would be.

So firstly does anybody Know if those AA inspections are much cop and secondly do you know if they do overseas Inspections and at what price? Im happy for my friend to check it over but would much rather get an idea of condition before I go.
We worked out that If we drove, the journey would probably cost £500 tops taking the grand total to around £8000. Does this seem like a lot of effort for an S on an 05 Plate at that price, or would any of you consider it?

Croatia!
Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 PM

Its the old traditional scam.......

Buy a UK car and don't get conned
Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 PM

As above.
Yes it is too good to be true.
Almost double the price and that is it's value.

Say goodbye to your cash if you go through with it.
Watch all the wierd obstacles come up... oh a deposit via Western Union etc etc
Old 10-12-2009, 11:36 PM

I put a wanted advert on a web site and although I eventually sourced the car I wanted almost 50% of the replies were scams.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a general rule of thumb, if it apears to be 'too good to be true', it is!

Whilst following this ethos may lead someone to miss out on that one in a million bargain/opportunity, it should be remembered that it is just that; a one in a million. 999,999 times you'll get to keep your cash and not suffer the stress and embarrasment of being ripped off. On ballance, I'd say you actually save money in the long run too

Have a look in the For Sale section here, you may not get an 05 car on your budget, but the cars are generally known and will have been maintained and cared for by enthusiasts.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:03 AM

It's a scam.

Why sell a car cheap in England when you're in croatia - just sell it to a croation for the same cheap money.
If you replied to the add through aut-trader expect an email shortly telling you that it was a scam advert and that it has been removed.

Take a look on the for sale section here.
Quite a few cars for that sort of money.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:03 AM

Yeah its a complete scam, same thing happened to me when i was buying one. Absolute bargain came up but your man was a student over in Ireland and was gone back to Germany so was selling the car for cheap cos it was a right hand drive... blah, blah, blah...

Have you been able to talk to the seller yet? My money says the whole thing has been through e-mail. Might be tough to hear that its a scam but it is, move on and look for something in the UK.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Stay well away.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:21 AM

Very common scam, it worries me that people even entertain these adverts as being genuine. You did the right thing however so just think of it as a lucky escape
Old 10-13-2009, 12:40 AM

Sorry, this is too good to be true. Leave this well alone or you are likely to be out of pocket.

R

Quick Reply: Too Good To Be True?