UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tonneau

Old 04-12-2007, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tonneau

Hello everyone. I'm the new boy, just joined the club. Can anyone describe in fairly simple terms how to get the tonneau cover over the folded roof. The gap behind the roll bar seems to be too small and I haven't got particularly big hands. If I only leave secured by the elastic straps at the side, the whole thing flips up (at 116mph and was bloody scary when it first happened)
Old 04-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Put the back bit on first, it will get more flexible as you use it - there is a nack to it, best get along to a meet and ask someone to show you
Old 04-12-2007, 11:24 AM
B B

Just about the most stupid hood cover I have very come across, so much for the so called brains at Honda. Funny how humble Mazda with their MX-5 solved such a simple problem with a soft fabric cover.
The only time I have ever seen a cover fitted is on new cars in showrooms.

It takes up almost all of the boot space when not used, but does look neat fitted and avoids the inside of the roof becoming faded in prolonged sunlight. You can't even carry it in the well vacated by the erect hood!

It took me several attempts to fit mine ( new car ) & as you say the studs on the headrests being very difficult.
The trick is to try and ensure the cover is not cold thus there is some flexibility
( impossible as I keep it stored on a shelf in the garage ).
Place the cover over the hood and work the cover down the gap behind the headrests. Then force one hand down between hood and inside of cover ( faffing about trying to be gentle is no good ) & with the other work the hood until the cover fastner is over the stud. The fastners have a shaft which when you slide up allowing the stud to engage. Pull on the fastner and because the cover is so stiff and you have been holding it under tension the fastner usually springs onto the stud. Sometimes the fastner engages the stud just by dint of pushing the cover into place.
There is just enough room to force your hand down to pull on the fastner when the cover has to be removed.

Old 04-12-2007, 11:25 AM

Have you tried reading the manual?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:27 AM

I know what you mean. I struggle with mine every time.

IMO the best method is to lay the cover over the folded roof ensuring that the side 'wings' are resting over the metal arms of the roof properly. Feed the leading edge into the gap behind the roll bar. Clip (just push onto the 'nipple') the leading edge retaining clip behind the passenger seat, then (and this is the tricky bit) stretch the cover as best you can to get the second clip into place behind the drivers seat, and when you have (after much tugging and sweating) got it aligned over the 'nipple' it will clip on. Pull down and clip on the elastic straps beside the outside of each seat. Then feed the back edge of the cover in ensuring the metal flats are seated under the leading edge of the boot to stop it lifting out. Job done!

It's a bit of a bind but worth it as not only does it look neater, it keeps dust and crap off the soft top and gear, and also free's up some space in the boot (if that's where you keep it). I've had no problem at some serious speeds when it's fitted properly.

As AE says it should get easier the more it's used and I suspect that as temperatures get even more balmy in the summer it will become more pliable and the stretching to get the second clip on will be less of a strain.

Good luck and welcome to the fold!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've just fitted mine for the first time....

the car had 4 studs in the back... my ebay tonneau only had 2

the 2 spare ones were touching the glass in the roof when it was down! and what a git they are to remove
Old 04-12-2007, 11:56 AM

I think it looks horrid with the cover on so its staying off. It also defeats the point of an electronic folding roof that takes 6 secs?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemall,Apr 12 2007, 11:56 AM
I think it looks horrid with the cover on so its staying off. It also defeats the point of an electronic folding roof that takes 6 secs?
i wonder if the roof can be removed and replaced with a hard plastic/fiberglass/carbon tonneau that sits flush with or follows the lines of the boot lid up to the roll bars, photoshop anyone??
Old 04-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Like the Veilside Tonneau, or the new cover (of the roofless) S2000 CR
Old 04-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by B B,Apr 12 2007, 08:24 PM
You can't even carry it in the well vacated by the erect hood!
It can - you need to try harder

Quick Reply: Tonneau