UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tonneau

Old 07-30-2005, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tonneau

Do many people use the tonneau cover? I think it tidies the car up a bit but mine, only a week old, is quite hard to fit. The studs behind the roll bar are difficult to get too and then after driving the back of the cover comes out of the channel its supposed to be in and I can see it lifting in the rear view mirror. I don't think it can come off but its a bit annoying. Also one of the little elastic retaining straps vibrates and makes a drumming noise with the windows down-again not a major snag but annoying.

What about cleaning the soft top? Will just soapy water do the trick and can anyone explain what this 303 cleaner is that gets mentioned??

So far then this week we've just clocked a 1000 miles and seen ZERO other Ss. Quite nice really!
Old 07-30-2005, 01:39 AM

Hardly anyone uses the tonneau - I certainly don't. Its too much hassle and besides, when its a hot day, the only thing on your mind is to go out for a and not to fanny around with little velcro straps

The S is a pretty rare car - most people don't even know what it is!

Hope you're enjoying your motor....

Ash
Old 07-30-2005, 02:58 AM

Used occasionally in the first few months of ownership but not at all for the past two years. It does tidy the lines up a bit, but not worth the hassle.

Take car on these all important first 600/1000 miles and look forward to VTEC fun.

303 'cleaner' is a treatment for vinyl and rubber surfaces. It is a thin clear liquid which you apply, in my case with a brush, others use a sponge, to the roof. It helps keep the vinyl supple, and black. Most importantly it helps the vinyl resist the damage that ultraviolet radiation causes, kind of a sunscreen. Easy to apply, and looks good afterwards. You can use it on all the vinyl and rubber surfaces. I was put on to it by Tiffosi red who was Mr Cleaning here before he defected to the land of porkers.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:40 AM

Tifosi has a Porsche now? OMG!
Old 07-30-2005, 05:40 AM

I've had my S for three and a half years now and I think I've put the cover on twice for photographs only - it's currently wrapped up in a bin bag in the loft, where it will probably stay until I sell the car! I actually found that when attempting to fit it on my own, where the unattached side sat over the roof, slightly overlapping onto the body work ahead of the boot lid, whilst I fitted the other side, the movement marked the paint (nothing that didn't polish out mind) so I'm a little dubious of bothering to put it on again.

As for cleaning, I just hose the roof, wash it with the normal sponge and car wash then rinse off again - works for me!

Right, I'm off to replace the broken rear (plastic) screen now - good job my Dad is a Chief Engineer on a ship (although he'll have no respect for the paint work!!!). Probably be back next year!

Cheers!
Old 07-30-2005, 07:37 AM

how you going to replace the plastic Neil ?
Pics of it being done would be good.

Oh and nop - my cover is still sealed in the bag..
Old 07-30-2005, 08:28 AM

stays in a black bag in my garage

defeats the purpose of having a convertible having to spend a couple of mins getting out and putting it on.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:45 AM

[QUOTE]how you going to replace the plastic Neil
Old 07-30-2005, 11:07 AM
MrV

Originally Posted by billybiker,Jul 30 2005, 09:35 AM

Do many people use the tonneau cover?
I use mine when ever possible ,practice makes perfect on the fitting time about a minute now

I find it helps keep the wind noise down to
Old 07-30-2005, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It allegedly protects the roof mechanism when it is down and improves wind noise in the cabin!
I've used one three times. My current one is still in the plastic it came in

Neil2K if you are going to spent that sort of mney order a new glass screen hood from hartopguy.com and get it retrofitted!

No more plastic screen!

Quick Reply: Tonneau