UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tomtom Custom Vent Mount

Old 03-01-2007, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tomtom Custom Vent Mount

I made a reference to my tomtom vent mount a few days ago and was asked by a couple of people to post up images.

I'd like to start by saying that this wasn't my idea, I copied this mount concept from another member on here. So I'm not taking the credit for it!

Here are the images:

The mount is held in place with two cable ties at the top, and some peices of rubber (pencil eraser).

At the top I stuck some foam tape on the back of the mount to stop it from rattling. It wasn't needed in the end, because of the cable ties.

The tomtom now sits perfectly at the right angle, in the right place, it doesn't get in the way of your hands whilst driving either.

I hope this helps.

Neil.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:29 AM

I invented this method

I didn't use cable ties though just wedged it in with bits of rubber tubing, it hasn't moved for over a year now!

Old 03-02-2007, 01:33 AM
hyb

Does the power cable reach there? good idea
Old 03-02-2007, 01:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a security point of view is that not a bad place to mount it?

If you have it plugged in when driving, and you have the roof and windows down, someone could easily reach into the car when your stopped at some lights and help themself. I know it's one in a million, but it's worth thinking about.

Just a thought.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:14 AM

Security wise maybe, but if you're worried about that then keep the windows up, the angle makes it virtually impossible to reachin that way...

Mine is hardwired under the dash and when it needs a charge I feed it up through the gaps in the steering column and then unplug it again when charged.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:15 AM

Nice solution. As an alternative I'm thinking I might get one of these from Modifry.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine just pops into the left vent using the TT mount & works fine.
Gets taken off everytime its not in use. No one would know i have SatNav. Permanent mounts are a giveaway & cops recommend against them, likewise suction mounts as they leave a tell-tale circle.

Ed
Old 03-02-2007, 03:05 AM

This solution is every bit as removeable as the official TT vent kit... I just don't bother, I tried the official kit but found it to be very unstable on the move and protruded very far from the dash which I couldn't live with...
Old 03-02-2007, 09:39 AM

I too, like Nezil, ripped off PhenomS2k's idea - I seem to remember we were both hassling for more information when the original post went up!

This tailored version of the original idea has been working for me for the best part of a year - I leave the standard bracket attached to the unit and have fixed some rubber pieces to the bracket with black tape, a piece above both of the bracket prongs. This makes the gap much smaller and it grips the vent off it's own steam. It's very steady and has never fallen off.

I'm about due to change the tape, and I guess it's been in place since summer, which is fine by me. The rubber I used has been in the toolbox for ever and is about 3mm thick.

The unit litterally slides on and off in 1 second and leaves no sign of it ever being there. I always take it out of the car anyway, so it's nice to know the window (probably) won't get broken for no reason!

I've been meaning to post pictures for months, but everytime I think about it, it's too dark for getting decent pictures!

Thanks and copyright to PhenomS2k!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:50 AM

Nicely done Neil

Quick Reply: Tomtom Custom Vent Mount