UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

TODA exhaust: excessive drone?

Old 03-23-2010, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irvatron,Mar 23 2010, 10:16 PM
Haha, one flaw in your sentence. I was born in Newcastle - no 6 fingers on me mofo .

Tracysports are top Shit (little known company but do well in races), with your jap links etc I'd of thought you knew they are very highly rated in Japan even above J's.

If you search on the net you will see.
I wasnt referring to you being an inbred, more along the lines that I thought you were taking me over to Millom for a run in your AKA Tracysports S2000 260hp car

I will be up there faster than you can say ' xxxxxx is trying too hard to be a MOD'
Old 03-23-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

, please this time when you buy an S dont waste your money on mugen tat mine will be faster than your mugen S will ever be even on a DD dyno likes the last set of S's

The S will hopefully have a blower installed by then

That quick eh
Old 03-23-2010, 02:36 PM

MUGEN = Mostly useless (otherthan) generating engine noise
Old 03-24-2010, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Irvatron,Mar 23 2010, 10:36 PM
MUGEN = Mostly useless (otherthan) generating engine noise
Peasent
Old 03-24-2010, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by manuelisfun,Mar 23 2010, 08:21 PM
That helped you with the drone or just the noise level?
A lot of the drone you experience is the rest of the car picking up and amplifying the exhaust resonance. The structure of the boot is flimsy and icks up resonance like a tuning fork (almost!). The boot space then acts as an enclosure amplify it further.

My greddy won't be as bad as the toda, but dynamat and my golf clubs have cut the earache quite a lot - volume and drone.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:19 AM
BVE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read about some people experiencing less noise because of dynamat etc... so I guess I'll fill the boot with some pillows and such, as a test...

Also, I had a PM from one of the americans saying his didn't drone at all, but he had a non-reonated testpipe... So I'm looking to find one of those I can have for a week...
Old 03-24-2010, 05:10 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

The decat is meant to get rid of the drone that people experience on cat backs. The toda manifold will change the exhaust note, but will also make it a little louder in the cabin too.

If the decat didn't get rid of the drone, then I really don't think fitting the manifold will get rid of it! BTW You can get the manifold fitted for about £200 from an Indy.

I do question the value of the sound deadening in the boot! IMHO it should be in the cabin, along the gearbox tunnel, on the rear cabin wall and on the front firewall..
Old 03-24-2010, 09:13 AM

Honda went to a lot of trouble keeping the weight down on the S and the reason they piled the kilo's on the exhaust is to get the noise to something civilised, drone is very subjective but from all the research i have done its impossible to shorten the exhaust path and not have drone, the oem exhaust has 2 back boxes with a double pass system using absorbsion and reflective wave technology all the "sports systems" use streight through silencers so you are loosing at least 800mm of tuned length and all the reflected wave, drone is when the system resonates like an orgam pipe different lengths sound at different rpm, unfortunately removing the oem back box moves the resonence to the 3 to 4 k spot in the S, using thin wall stainless only makes it worse, dont be taken in by all the reports of this or that system has no drone ALL AFTERMARKET SYSTEMS DRONE its a matter of the degree and what you are prepared to accept, usually the amount paid for the exhaust is directly related to whats acceptable - the more you pay the more likely you are to accept it.
i have had a spoon N1 droned like hell made me deaf in my right ear but sounded fantastic on full chat, sold that at a loss of £150 and bought a Tennabe concept G, nice sound but droned, it had to go at a loss of £200
so to date i have the OEM back on and i am £350 out of pocket, my faith in the lightweight sports exhaust is shattered and i have turned to drink and hard drugs, so to sum up, if you want the last 1% out of your engine and dont mind the drone or even like it then go for a lightweight free flow exhaust but be aware it will gain you max 3 to 4 hp thats around 1.5% increase and save the weight of 20 ltrs of fuel (just tank it half way for same effect)is it worth it only you can decide, im not trying to upset people but just saying it as i see it
Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by oxhouser,Mar 24 2010, 06:13 PM
Honda went to a lot of trouble keeping the weight down on the S and the reason they piled the kilo's on the exhaust is to get the noise to something civilised, drone is very subjective but from all the research i have done its impossible to shorten the exhaust path and not have drone, the oem exhaust has 2 back boxes with a double pass system using absorbsion and reflective wave technology all the "sports systems" use streight through silencers so you are loosing at least 800mm of tuned length and all the reflected wave, drone is when the system resonates like an orgam pipe different lengths sound at different rpm, unfortunately removing the oem back box moves the resonence to the 3 to 4 k spot in the S, using thin wall stainless only makes it worse, dont be taken in by all the reports of this or that system has no drone ALL AFTERMARKET SYSTEMS DRONE its a matter of the degree and what you are prepared to accept, usually the amount paid for the exhaust is directly related to whats acceptable - the more you pay the more likely you are to accept it.
i have had a spoon N1 droned like hell made me deaf in my right ear but sounded fantastic on full chat, sold that at a loss of £150 and bought a Tennabe concept G, nice sound but droned, it had to go at a loss of £200
so to date i have the OEM back on and i am £350 out of pocket, my faith in the lightweight sports exhaust is shattered and i have turned to drink and hard drugs, so to sum up, if you want the last 1% out of your engine and dont mind the drone or even like it then go for a lightweight free flow exhaust but be aware it will gain you max 3 to 4 hp thats around 1.5% increase and save the weight of 20 ltrs of fuel (just tank it half way for same effect)is it worth it only you can decide, im not trying to upset people but just saying it as i see it
Its also to do with the 50:50 weight distribution and comments i made earlier (bonnet being aluminium).

FWIW i have a 5zigen single and it only drone slightly this is under 3k but its no where near as bad as any of the other exhausts i have owned, in the 3-4k range the drone is almost none existent.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 AM

it might be 50 / 50 but you loose that with an after market exhaust and can get the same weight saving by not filling the tank.
im conviced a lot f the problem is in using stainless as its one of the complaints the classic car guys have when changing to full stainless systems, mild steel does not resonate the same as thin stainless, think of a lead bell compared to a brass bell its an extreem example but makes the point

Quick Reply: TODA exhaust: excessive drone?