UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

TODA exhaust: excessive drone?

Old 03-23-2010, 12:31 AM
BVE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TODA exhaust: excessive drone?

OK here's the thing: I bought Mighty Wokka's full TODA exhaust (manifold, resonated test pipe, cat back). I knew there would be some droning, but hey, no pain no gain right? wrong! I find it to be excessively loud inside the car, at very low frequencies... yes, droning. I can actually have a pretty normal conversation with my passenger, so the drone is truely only a deep resonation.

Currently I have the test pipe and the cat back installed. I'm told I need to get the manifold on there, that that will change the exhaust note, which might help a lot. But I'm not convinced on a manifold killing the drone.

Most irritating about it is, it's between 2500 and 3500 rpm, daily driving territory. If it was over 5000rpm or so, I could care less.

Now I know there's people in the UK with this exhaust. Could you please chime in with your experiences? Maybe I need to resell the exhaust, maybe I need to make a few simple adjustments and be happy after all.

(I want to keep it really. Awesome exhaust note in VTEC where I don't mind it being crazy loud and the looks are exactly what I want from an exhaust)
Old 03-23-2010, 12:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what did you move to it from?

When I first put the H&S on mine, I had decided within a day that it had to go.

I kept it, and now I hardly notice.

...that's not to say that passengers don't
Old 03-23-2010, 12:47 AM
BVE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from stock, but I've had excessive exhausts in the past on different cars (Integra R, CRX VT) and none were THIS bad. I don't mind a little, but I'm experiencing excessive drone now and THAT is what I want to get rid of.

This is no longer a 'get used to it' drone!
Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 AM

Is it a single or a dual?

Sell it and get a Mugen
Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I guess you might as well fit the manifold and see what happens, as it's a good bit of kit and certainly shouldn't increase the noise.

I have a J's manifold and decat with stock exhaust and doens't make it any louder.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by punchdrunk,Mar 23 2010, 08:56 AM
Is it a single or a dual?

Sell it and get a Mugen
Toda dont make a single pipe for the S2000
Old 03-23-2010, 01:29 AM
Community Organizer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Their systems are designed for track use unlike the Mugen system
Old 03-23-2010, 02:07 AM

Hmm... do you have a silencer? My spoon (single) is annoying without the silencer. If I drive say 30mins without it, it will certainly have an effect on my mood later, lol. Don't recommend it for daily driving. However, with the silencer it is a LOT better. I am not even sure if I notice the power loss. Perception of any change is harder to discern because the sound also changed.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IMO a manifold won't change it too much, it's the noise
from the exhaust - the exhaust gases velocity and resonance point of the car/design of the exhaust diameter and silencers.

The S does have a resonance point between 3-4k rpm that's masked well with the stock exhaust due to the CAT, helm holt resonator, twin loop system inside the backboxes and piping size/material.

Putting on an aftermarket exhaust you get rid of most of these things in the name of performance. Having an intake may help slighlty.

I have a quiet single 5zigen, even that has a little drone but not much.

So you either have the performance (very little with duals) or have a quiet exhaust with no gains but lightier or a halfway house.

I'd try the manifold.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 AM

this has helped my drone a bit..

or just fill the boot with pillows!

Quick Reply: TODA exhaust: excessive drone?