UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Timing chain replaced - Vtec loss of power

Old 04-11-2010, 11:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo,Apr 11 2010, 08:47 PM
I had the timing chain break, and take the engine with it.
Dave,

Did you ever conclude whether the engine failure was a result of a broken chain or the chain broke as a result of a dropped valve?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lower,Apr 11 2010, 07:51 PM
Did you ever conclude whether the engine failure was a result of a broken chain or the chain broke as a result of a dropped valve?
Just going on what Honda told me. The engine kept turning, the chain was broken, and the valves had made a hole in the number 1 piston.

I'm not sure how you could conclude what caused what.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right, just thought I'd share my experience from Honda.

After my operation I couldn't drive the car, so Honda picked up my car and dropped off a curtsey car for the period of my car getting fixed.

It' only took them 1 day after dropping my car back off to find the fault and fix it. After speaking to the manager (who personally picked up and dropped off my car) he mentioned that they did 3 things:
1. Re-did the tappets (not that it should have really needed doing).
2. Clean and re-gapped the spark plugs (not that it should have really needed doing).
3. Replaced a coil as it was shorting (they noticed a slight burn mark around the plug).

It had to be mechanical as the diagnostic computer didn't detect any faults with the car.

What I didn't realise was - what I was trying describe (in my 1st thread) was in fact a miss fire on one of the cylinders. Personally, I didn't push the car hard enough to really find out.

Job done, car feels great again, drives great and I'm very happy with Honda!

So, if my ticking returns then you'll be the first to know. Hopefully this thread will help others in my situation.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad your problem is fixed. For what its worth:

1. Might have contributed to the problem but if they changed the timing chain these should have been done as part of the job.
2. The platinum plugs on an S2000 are not supposed to be re-gapped. Sounds like a red herring.
3. Possibly the cause. But the ecu should have recorded a misfire which they would have picked up in their diagnostics.

I suspect that what you had wasn't a misfire at all and was MAP related. An ecu reset can clear it as can disconnecting the MAP and reconnecting it.

Hopefully the problem is fixed long term.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:43 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Is it only me or does anyone else not believe anything 'dealers' say anymore?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 04-21-2010, 03:28 AM

"Mc Michael Knight" (if I can call you that!)

Glad to hear it's been sorted. I hope they didn't charge you for the extra work though.

You know, it seems to me that all our (well, it would be a stretch to include mine!) collective brains on this forum are far more knowledgeable about the S than the dealers. Makes you wonder whether it's worth taking your car there at all. Perhaps we should start our own little dealership....
Old 04-21-2010, 04:02 AM

sounds like an expensive ' reboot ' of the ecu if you ask me ! which dealer ? after that amount you had spent no wonder the manager came to pick it up !
Old 04-21-2010, 10:45 AM

Just to confirm there was no extra cost. I mean it wasn't cheap to begin with, so I'd expected to have been looked after of which I was.

Do I believe what Honda say? I personally wouldn't know better, but all I want is a working car. It was 100% fine in vtec before the timing chain replacement, so I'd expect it to be 100% fine after disregard of the other fault(s) occurred during the replacement job.

The Honda dealership is 'Pennine Honda (Ashton-under-Lyne)'. I've used them for the last 2 services and mots and they have been great.

When I first got my car I had a knocking sound coming from the back. I took it to Pennine Honda Rochdale and got totally ripped off. Never went back there again.

The problem I have, is it better the devil you know than don't?

I just hope this thread adds value to others who are in a similar position.

and oh, "Mc Michael Knight" has a nice ring to it!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:59 AM

Well my s is called 'Kitt'! Cheesy, I know!

Quick Reply: Timing chain replaced - Vtec loss of power