UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Timing chain replaced - Vtec loss of power

Old 04-10-2010, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing chain replaced - Vtec loss of power

Hi all,
Well, I'll point to a thread I raised a few weeks ago about the dreaded ticking issue and decided to have the timing chain, guides and TCT replaced by Honda.
Thread can be found here Ticking Issue [TCT and timing chain]

The engine sounds so much quieter, it sounds like a new car again. The mechanic even tightened everything up like steering, clutch etc.. which makes it feel great again.

However, when I vtec the engine I lose power. It's only for a 1 sec or 2 and is a smooth transition after which the engine then accelerates. I haven't pushed the car too hard just in case I do any serious damage.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or any ideas for the loss power in vtec? Could the timing be slightly off? Could it be the vtec sensor? Hairline crack in a pipe somewhere?

Also, I've got all the parts that where replaced so I'll upload the piccys at a later date. Hopefully it shed more light for others to make an educated guess on parts to replace if they decided to go down the same route. I'm hoping the images will give people an idea of wear and tear on the guides, tct and chain as most people just change the tct which I personally feel only masks the ticking issue for a short period of time. Unfortunately I haven't had any time to inspect the parts myself (yet) as I'm going in for an operation which will put me out of action for next few days.

Anyway, any ideas would be most welcome before I take it back to Honda!

Glad to be back!

Cheers.
Keith.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:04 AM

Take it back to Honda.
You paid for it to be fixed - right?
Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 AM

Yes, I paid for it. Had a good service from them. The car drives fine when not in vtec and the power loss only happens when you try and push the car hard.

I just thought it was the ECU just readjusting after a reset.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:20 AM

Oh dear. I can't make up my mind what to do about mine.

Your post sounded positive until the third paragraph. Now it seems that I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Sorry about your loss of power. Will be very interested to hear what Honda and the pundits on here have to say about it.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:25 AM

I wouldn't even monkey about with it.

You could start trying to reset the ECU etc - it make no difference - you take it back - and the garage make excuses about you tinkering with it.

Just take it back - and get them to do exactly what you paid for.
Much simpler
Old 04-10-2010, 02:45 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most possible your mechanic did not do the right valve timing. When you change these things you have to adjust the timing chain correctly for the valve timing. So i guess your mechanic did it wrong or he did not pay attention to that at all so the timing is out

Chris
Old 04-10-2010, 02:59 AM

Cheers for the feedback guys. Don't worry, I'm taking it back to Honda alright. I just wanted to make sure that I'm not damaging anything just by driving it. All seems fine otherwise.

Honda said that if I cannot drive it to the garage then they'll pick it up and drop it off. So I can't argue with that really.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:19 AM

@Mistress Quickly
I've been happy with what they have done and they engine sounds soo quiet compared to it before. It even sounds better at higher revs which took me back to when I first bought 2.5 years ago.

The whole job cost me £1250 which is a lot of money, but I still enjoy the car and I plan to keep it. Sure, I could have probably got the job done cheaper if I shopped around, but I took the easiest and most convenient route for me personally.

Considering 2.5 years of ownership this is the only big job I've had done (touch wood) on it and considering it's a sports car it has cost me very little and has been really reliable (again touches wood).

Because the s2000 still puts a smile on my face and the fact the s2000's are rare on the roads I personally feel it's money well spent. I don't have the tools, space or diy skills to do the work myself on the car apart from simple, general maintenance. The other factor is this is my main car and I rely on my car for my job.

My personal opinion is, if you plan to keep your car and have the money then do what I did and get it done or simply take a chance and just replace the tct and see if you get lucky and solve the issue.

If my memory serves me right - I think just to change the timing chain itself could have also solved the problem (I'm not a mechanic, so I wouldn't know). This route would have cost around £500. The only reason I had the 'full monty' done was to have piece of mind and that I personally feel the ticking issue is like a dark cloud over the s2000 of which didn't make me fully enjoy the car for what it was.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:30 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

How much?!
Old 04-10-2010, 03:33 AM

Yeah, scary price I totally agree.

I'm fortunate that I have 2 years of fuel expenses to claim back off the tax man which covers the job in question, so technically it hasn't cost me a penny!

But yeah, I myself as well when I got the quote.

Quick Reply: Timing chain replaced - Vtec loss of power