UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Timing Chain

Old 04-09-2009, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain

Hi guys,

I recently took my car into a Honda garage to get it checked over as it was making a rather annoying ticking noise when stationary. The mechanics said the timing chain needed changing and quoted me around
Old 04-09-2009, 03:52 AM

Sounds like the tensioner needs replacing, certainly worth a try before changing the whole belt!

What oil are you using out of interest?
Old 04-09-2009, 04:05 AM

My car is sounding pretty tappy when cold whilst warming up and i'm sure it's the chain. What's the processes for adjusting or replacing the tensioner? How much should this cost?
Old 04-09-2009, 04:21 AM

Dont believe them!!!!

Honda told me the same thing when my old lump was still in. Same thing, ticking noise. I had the TCT replaced but the noise came back a few months later. They then told me I needed the chain replaced at HUGE cost.

I seeked a second opinion from an independant. He suggested and oil change which stopped the noise.

When my old lump gave up, my mechanic showed me the chain from it. He said there was absolutely nothing wrong with it and was actually amazed by the good condition it was in for an engine that had done 107k miles!!!!

I would suggest you too try an oil change. Which oil are you using too? it might be too thin.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:22 AM

The price they've given you will be to replace the tensioner and the guide arms - I had the same thing. When I asked why they would replace both when they had told me it was the tensioner I was told it was precautionary 'just in case' it's the guide arms.

TCT costs
Old 04-09-2009, 04:35 AM

Old 04-09-2009, 05:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its the TCT for sure...

IMO - (and you dont have to take it) - Try doing an oil change AND clean the TCT first if you are feeling handy..
I cleaned my TCT last week (its 6 months old) and its made a world of difference again..
It seems there are 2 very small holes in the TCT to which oil flows - it looks like they can easily get gunked up, causing a loss of pressure in the piston mechanism there..

Follow this guide by Russel to clean it: (thanks by the way Russel!)

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...f=25&t=677835#

I managed to do mine without using the M5 as i couldnt get the screw out - but i really wouldnt reccomend doing it my way..! I had to manually wind the piston in with my hands, and put a small alan key where the old grenade pin sat and cut it! The M5 route would've been a billion times easier!!

Anyhow, chances are your chain is fine - if my engine can be reasonably quiet after cleaning the TCT and with 98.7K on the clock, im sure it'll help yours

EDIT: IF cleaning doesnt work, or you just really cba - then buy a new one from hardtopguy - Honda UK will charge you