UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Time to officially say hello!

Old 08-02-2005, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to officially say hello!

Hello to all, I have been hanging around on this site for quite a long time now.

I actually got myself a VXT in Dec 2004 but sadly wrote that off last month (won't go in to details other than it was wet and driver error). Absolutely gutted really. So I was back in the market for another car and my two favourite cars are still the VXT and the S (at least in my budget anyway).

My heart really wanted another VXT as it was a fantastic car but my Dad was selling his 05 reg S so settled on that instead. So really got it as no hassle purchase and perhaps a bit more sensible.

His was the one advertised on: www.hondas2000.150m.com which apparently gave people issues with pop-ups, viruses etc. So appologies on his behalf although didnt seem to give my computer any problems. If you're feeling brave take a look as it's my car now!! In his defence it was my brother that set the website up for him.

Anyway negotiated a deal that we were both happy with. Car came from David Hendrie cars back in March and is in perfect condition.

So thoughts on the car (and comparison to VXT - although it's not back to back as the VXT is dead ):

Performance - VXT is in a different league really. Even at speeds above 60mph i'm sure the VXT would leave the S up to silly speeds. 60 - 90 the VXT 'felt' quicker - i say felt as the intensity of a VXT may exaggerate things a little!

Handling - VXT great fun, S not sure yet as it feels a bigger car to me and don't want to stack it again. What i would say is that when you get in the VXT you feel that you should give it plenty, in the S i'm quite happy cruising a bit more (probably a good thing......)

Comfort - S much better, electric windows, aircon, leccy roof.......

Practicality - S better but boot on VXT wasnt tiny (officially the same size as the new fiat panda's boot). More space to put things in the cabin in the S.

BUT - the S fights back with that engine noise, brilliant.

Need to get my stereo system sorted now - anyone know whether a Sony mini disc player can be used and connected to the dashboard controller? Any pointers here would be great.

Plan on getting a sub in the tool well and decent front speakers shortly.

Cheers

Rob
Old 08-02-2005, 03:04 AM

Yet another newbie from Reading

Definitely need a Reading mini-meet soon!
Old 08-02-2005, 03:07 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats Rob, now lets see some pics!!

Old 08-02-2005, 03:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RAB2000,Aug 2 2005, 10:59 AM
Need to get my stereo system sorted now - anyone know whether a Sony mini disc player can be used and connected to the dashboard controller? Any pointers here would be great.

Plan on getting a sub in the tool well and decent front speakers shortly.
Ah! that's the sum total of two people I know now who have persisted with a minidisc system in the car (I gave up on mine when I bought my Golf Gti in 2000). Somone who refuses to admit that Alpine HU s are best will be along shortly to mention the adapter you can get for the Sony HU.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

again

Forget the minidisc, go MP3 player or MP3 compatible interchanger
Old 08-02-2005, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ready S2k,Aug 2 2005, 12:04 PM
Yet another newbie from Reading

Definitely need a Reading mini-meet soon!
Looking that way isn't it
Old 08-02-2005, 03:58 AM

Cheers for the replies.

Moving into London soon (insurance but at least a salary increase justifies it!)

Do Alpine do a Mini Disc unit? Unit i've got does a reasonable job though.

I'm quite fond of MD as my brother buys more CDs than I do so I tend to keep the MD copy if you know what I mean. Also changing a mini disc in a car on the move is much easier than a CD. Also not limited to a CD changer of 6/10 discs.

Another thing i've been wondering is if you have a sub in the boot of the S how well can you hear it? In my VXT I had a 10" sub just behind the seats (in very custom shaped box!) Basically how does the sound get into the cabin? I don't want to have it so that everyone else can hear it but I can't (too chavtastic...)

Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 04:03 AM

One other thing!

Can you get a head unit that has a hard drive? ie put a CD in, it remembers it so it's like a dashboard ipod type thing (so you could have say 100 CDs saved in to it). I know you can go down the ipod route with a FM output but prefer to have everything installed in the dashboard.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy a hard drive HU but the option favoured on the board is to buy an ICElink from denison.com so that you can plug the ipod into the rear of your HU multichanger socket

Whilst the minidisc is smaller, with an MP3 HU you can store 8-12 albums on a single CD
Old 08-02-2005, 04:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RAB2000,Aug 2 2005, 11:58 AM
Do Alpine do a Mini Disc unit? Unit i've got does a reasonable job though.

I'm quite fond of MD as my brother buys more CDs than I do so I tend to keep the MD copy if you know what I mean. Also changing a mini disc in a car on the move is much easier than a CD. Also not limited to a CD changer of 6/10 discs.
They used to do one a few years back but not any more I don't think.

I replaced my Alpine minidisc head with an Alpine MP3 head and changer. You can get more than 6 CDs onto a single CD in the MP3 head unit and similarly onto each CD in the changer.

Quick Reply: Time to officially say hello!