UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tiger?

Old 08-14-2004, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiger?

http://www.tigerracing.com/cars/tiger-b6-main.php

kinda tempting..........

The motorbike-engined Tiger B6 comprises a space frame chassis and Tiger De-Deon rear suspension. The B6 chassis if produced from mainly round tube, and has the same Tiger De-Deon rear as the world record holding Tiger Z100s (the world's fastest accelerating production car from 0-60mph). The chassis is a modification of that used in the Tiger R6 and Tiger Z100

From the outset the main objective in development was light weight and precision handling. Extensive use of carbon panels (exterior and interior) has kept the weight down. Keeping weight in mind, the Tiger R6 is fitted with Superlite split-rim alloy wheels.

The standard motorbike engine fitment is that from the Suzuki GSZR1000, in its standard form is an engine with one of the highest power-per-weight ratios in the world.

The finish on the Tiger B6 bodywork is a two-pack sprayed central body, nose and bonnet with carbon front and rear wings. Any colour is available on the bodywork (some paints may incur an additional charge).
Old 08-14-2004, 10:47 AM

Is this a replacement or an addition to the Zero corp fleet of automobiles Z?
Old 08-14-2004, 10:47 AM

They are good fun. The Westfield I just sold was of identical performance to the Tiger Z100, mine went around corners better though!

Really good track cars, not very practical on the road. The single engine cars are a lot more usable on an everyday basis though..
Old 08-14-2004, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kelk,Aug 14 2004, 06:47 PM
Is this a replacement or an addition to the Zero corp fleet of automobiles Z?
just toying with the idea of something as raw.......probs just dreaming
Old 08-14-2004, 01:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zero_to60,Aug 14 2004, 06:20 PM
The standard motorbike engine fitment is that from the Suzuki GSZR1000, in its standard form is an engine with one of the highest power-per-weight ratios in the world.
The car still weighs 300kg more than the donor bike (3 x the weight)

I think the new Yamaha R1 engine will have a significantly higher power to weight ratio.
Old 08-14-2004, 02:16 PM

Why do all these track car makers copy the Lotus 7. Can't they think of a better design than this ?

I know the Caterhams, Westfields etc are excellent track cars but why keep copying the same old design.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sprinkle a dose of S2000 wording in here or it will go off-topic.

S2000 etc, etc.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:25 PM

Somebody has just finished an S2000 engined westy. (does that help?)
Seems good as a track car but is even more compromised than my old twin engined thing was for road use..
Old 08-14-2004, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Red Mist,Aug 14 2004, 11:16 PM
Why do all these track car makers copy the Lotus 7. Can't they think of a better design than this ?

I know the Caterhams, Westfields etc are excellent track cars but why keep copying the same old design.
There are plenty of non Lotus 7 inspired kitcars out there, if you look. But a lot of people like the seven styled stuff. If there is demand for it, manufacturers will build it..
Old 08-14-2004, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by StevenM,Aug 14 2004, 10:10 PM
The car still weighs 300kg more than the donor bike (3 x the weight)

I think the new Yamaha R1 engine will have a significantly higher power to weight ratio.
This is precisely why the twins were made - it reduces the amount of weight each engine has to lug about. That said, don't forget that the bike is geared for the best part of 200mph or something daft, whereas the single engine cars are generally only geared for iro 120mph. This reduces the loading on the engines significantly, and also avoids the old "no torque" chestnut..
Also, and I'm not sure what Tiger quote for the weights of their cars, it is perfectly possible to build a bike engined westy (or similar) down to 400kg. When fitting the engines to a car you remove all the restrictive exhausts and emissions guff hence the power goes up.

Bottom line is, the single engine BECs (Bike-Engined-Cars) are very quick, but not as quick as the motorbike that the engines came from. The point is really very cheap performance, with the bonus of monster revs and sequential gearbox. The twin BECs are generally as fast as the bikes the engines came from on the straights, and if you introduce some bends into the equation, they'll leave the bike for dead. Trust me!

Edit:
PS. There are some people starting to fit the new R1 engine for racing, but as it's so new the prices for it are still very high. The aim with most BECs is to keep the cost low, along with the weight. The current R1 engines have already proven themselves to be almost "'Busa-beaters" once installed in cars - especially once the cost implications are taken into consideration (R1s don't need dry-sumping, 'Busas do..).
IMHO the R1 is the engine of choice at the moment, and it's position will only get stronger once the new models come down in price. It also packages very well in the car applications - another important consideration.

Quick Reply: Tiger?