UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ticking noise from rear wheel area...

Old 08-09-2006, 01:43 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up Ticking noise from rear wheel area...

Hi all,

I have a problem with the car and not sure if its brake or bearing (maybe diff too) related.

I had the popping noise from the left rear a while back, and a slight grinding at very slow speeds. It was also much worse when turning right (more load on opposite wheel) I had just fitted EBC rear pads and though it may be related but that wouldnt explain the noise worsening when cornering, hence I though bearing or diff.

When I span the wheel up when jacked up, it sounded like the pad was catching on rust spots on the disc, so I filed the rust area off the disc in the meantime.

I then replaced the rear discs with vented / grooved / dimpled ones and Honda did the torque up of the hub nut. Grinding noise appears to have gone. I asked them to inspect the bearing but they bloody didnt!

I still have this ticking noise though. It rises and falls with rotational speed but I cant work out what it is. Im hoping its not just the noise this type of disc makes, due to the dimples and grooves in it when spinning. I cant hear it with the windows / roof up, but a bit annoying with them down.

Any ideas what it could be? I have a lot of experience with bearings but not on cars. I know its just a rolling element type and they do tick when on the way out.

Has anyone else got noisy EBC Redstuff discs / pads?

MB
Old 08-09-2006, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark remember I told you my greenstuffs on my old Cooper S used to do the same sort of thing? Well i'v since got redstuffs fitted all round on my car and have no dodgy noises whatsoever so im not sure what to tell you now!
Old 08-09-2006, 02:24 AM
MB

Im tempted to change them all for something like DBA or Pagidand see what happens, but its an expensive trial! What else are good?

MB
Old 08-09-2006, 02:38 AM

i've just had some mintex ones fitted two days ago on my rears and they seem fine. no squeaking at all so far.

i've heard that the pagid ones can be excessively dusty.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:56 AM

I used to have Greenstuff pads and grooved / pitted disks on another car and they made a hell of a racket!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:30 AM

Mine makes this noise, an intermittant 'shusshing' noise that increases with speed. Think it's due to the stuck caliper as mentioned in my thread.

Sure they calipers are all freed up?
Old 08-09-2006, 03:34 AM
MB

These are noisy when not braking though! Anyone had that before? The ticking is there all the time.

Its either the pad just contacting the disc, and the grooves making the noise, or just the centrifugal motion of the grroves causing a noise on their own.

I could live with it if it was just braking!

MB
Old 08-09-2006, 03:35 AM
MB

Originally Posted by Si2k,Aug 9 2006, 12:30 PM
Mine makes this noise, an intermittant 'shusshing' noise that increases with speed. Think it's due to the stuck caliper as mentioned in my thread.

Sure they calipers are all freed up?
That sounds more like it. Will go look at your thread.

MB
Old 08-09-2006, 07:30 AM

As a co-incidence, I on monday fitted my EBC grooved front disc's and Greenstuff pads to the front, I have the same on the back and yes there is clicking.

I put the backs on 3 months ago and noticed the instant clicking after they were on, The fronts which went on monday do the same and I am pretty sure its the pads moving over the grooves.

You will probably notice the noise is from the back more as well, I think this is due to the calipers on the s prone to seizing up after certain age and sticking to the disc causing the noise.

I dont think its anything to worry about. I did tighten up the spindle nuts with a new pair as I thought it might be them.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:57 AM
MB

Cool, good info ta.

I agree the pad must be sticking a little bit as there should be no noise when you're not braking.

Guess I will have to clean them and see if they free up. Not sure I can take the noise for much longer :s

MB

Quick Reply: Ticking noise from rear wheel area...