UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Throttle body coolant lines

Old 05-02-2014, 02:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body coolant lines

Guys,

Looking to install a K&N FIPK. Was reading through the installation manual - seems straight forward. Only a few questions that some of you may have an answer to.

Since you disconnect the throttle body coolant lines do you have to bleed the coolant system? If not why not?

Is the coolant line to the throttle body always pumping coolant through the throttle body, is it part of the ciruclation path?

Is it possible to install using the original hoses? Why have K & N supplied new hoses and not made use of the originals?

Hopefully some of you who have the FIPK or other intakes might know. Did use the search but no real answers on any of it.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 05-02-2014, 03:23 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

There is a coolant bleed nipple on the top of the engine, I'd use that to bleed after installation. Yes the coolant circulates through the throttle body, some people blank this off with a ball bearing to reduce intake temps/heatsoak - but I'm guessing it's heated to stop icing in cooler weather. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/866...oolant-bypass/

Not sure about the original hoses, I'm guessing they are re-routed and shortened ?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This point of the installation is a bit odd ball. Because the K&N kit deleted the little bundle of metal pipes that serve the vacuum lines and the throttle body coolant line, you need to re route them and make your own path. I re-routed all mine when i fitted my kit not long ago. If you have the pipe cut to length ready then you won't loose a great deal of coolant. I popped one end of the old rubber pipe off and got my thumb over the end to stop anything draining out (by not being able to draw air in to the system)

Basically, you won't need to bleed it, just keep an eye on the level for a few days after.

The coolant will always flow around the T.B. (Part of the throttle body heating system)

You can make a pretty tidy job of installing new lines, it just sounds a bit more fiddly than it really is. Will gladly take pics of my set-up if you want some reference?
Old 05-02-2014, 03:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did mine several months back, all I had to go from was the instructions provided which are fairly woeful.

If I can do it, you can do it
Old 05-02-2014, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So do most just reconnect that coolant line and forget it? I guess not all the flow goes through if people are blocking it off.

Rob - wouldn't mind a pic of how tidy you got yours if you have a few?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 05-02-2014, 07:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just followed the instructions provided, pulled the coolant line, got coolant everywhere and then reattached the pipe it told me to use.