UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Thoughts on front upper and lower bracing

Old 07-24-2006 | 07:41 AM

Thumbs up Thoughts on front upper and lower bracing

Giving some serious thoughts to some front bracing after driving Craig's car at the weekend. His car had a much sharper turn in and pretty sure that a lot of that was down to bracing. The car doesn't need it, but it would probably benefit from it. So my questions are for those with front bracing.

Which is the most effective brace, upper tower or lower X brace? What's fitting costs, or alternatively how hard is it to fit?

And finally there are a few different ones out there. Any significant advantages of one over another?
Old 07-24-2006 | 07:46 AM

I had the top brace on first of all, little difference. When the bottom brace on the difference was marked, although not sure whether this is because they worked in tandem. Theoretically easy to fit, although sometimes it can be hard to get the bolt holes to line up. I've got the Muz because it allows easy access to the oil filter. There was a recent thread on alternatives on S2000 talk IIRC.
Old 07-24-2006 | 08:35 AM

The lower rear (Cusco) makes one hell of a difference to the breakaway characteristics, considering its a direct swap.
Old 07-24-2006 | 08:38 AM

That's interesting Nick. How is it different? More snappy? There's already a stock lower rear bar and I've wondered how much difference an aftermarket bar will really make. What's your own experience?
Old 07-24-2006 | 08:47 AM

Vastly more progressive!

I tend to run minimum toe-in & lots of camber, so my car starts to 'feel' before it goes.

With the Cusco, this is exacerbated, so I really think the car handles very sweetly, wet or dry.

There vastly less rear 'scuttle shake' on bad roads, which must help the geometry. Also, the ride feels firmer & more controlled, meaning the dampers must have something better to work against.

I didn't think the car had a problem, until someone convinced me to try the rear brace!

Once you take the [ - shaped Honda item off, you realise what a piece of tat it is. The Cusco is D - shaped & thicker.

Even so, it's like the front braces; suddenly the whole car 'works' like it should have done out of the box.

Everyone probably assumes I'm nuts to drive it on the limit all the time, but it's now no big deal. It's a pussycat.
Old 07-24-2006 | 08:52 AM

Right, following Chilled's comments at Donington yesterday (which I agree with) I'm ordering it today!

EDIT: Where's a reliable place to order it from? Tokyo Express don't seem to carry the Cusco lower rear bar.
Old 07-24-2006 | 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=Paper Lawyer,Jul 24 2006, 08:52 AM]Right, following Chilled's comments at Donington yesterday (which I agree with) I'm ordering it today!

EDIT:
Old 07-24-2006 | 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Jul 24 2006, 05:47 PM
Vastly more progressive!

I tend to run minimum toe-in & lots of camber, so my car starts to 'feel' before it goes.

With the Cusco, this is exacerbated, so I really think the car handles very sweetly, wet or dry.

There vastly less rear 'scuttle shake' on bad roads, which must help the geometry. Also, the ride feels firmer & more controlled, meaning the dampers must have something better to work against.

I didn't think the car had a problem, until someone convinced me to try the rear brace!

Once you take the [ - shaped Honda item off, you realise what a piece of tat it is. The Cusco is D - shaped & thicker.

Even so, it's like the front braces; suddenly the whole car 'works' like it should have done out of the box.

Everyone probably assumes I'm nuts to drive it on the limit all the time, but it's now no big deal. It's a pussycat.
Old 07-24-2006 | 11:00 AM

Old 07-24-2006 | 11:05 AM

Isn't the fact Craigs suspension setup/gearing is vastly non-stock going to have a big influence as well as a steel tube?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on front upper and lower bracing