UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

These any good?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default These any good?

Hi guys looking at changing my air filter for my first modification. In my past for my nissan 200sx i used both Hks, apexi and universal filters and to be honest there was never any real noticable difference between
Old 09-29-2008, 10:06 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Slev,

You have a 25k plus sports car developed by some of the finest automotive engineers on the planet - putting something on there made by a bloke in Taiwan in a shed wouldn't be the best idea.

Ask them what the filtration capability of it is - I would bet a fair bit of money they don't know.

In a lot of cases, you get what you pay for (in some you get ripped off) but the S2000 air intake is actually very good. If you want more noise there are cheap alternatives available ranging from taking the airbox lid off, to offerings from AEM and K&N etc.

The Mugen one won't make any more noise.

Air intakes on the S don't tend to add hardly any power, so generally people change them for noise / weight reasons.

A good mod is a snorkel to feed the standard intake, as that stops some of the kangerooing in traffic.

PS the black bit on the end is for the crank case breather pipe.

PPS - try the search too as your following questions about heat soak and having the air box lid off have been asked many a time!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:10 AM

I disagree with MB regarding the performance, you definitely get a BHP increase and you can definitely notice it in the mid range of the cars revs. I qualify all of that statement with the fact that I have one installed, only it's not the same as the one you are looking at. Mine is the type that draws air in from the bottom most point of the car, down low by the front wheels, here the air is cold, unlike the air that your possible intake will draw in, it will draw warm air in from the engine bay so I am not sure if there will be any gains with that particular model... as I said though there are very notable gains with the longer snorkel AEM type intakes.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:11 AM

MB's right, you get what you pay for. I reckon you could be in with an expensive bill should something go wrong after fitting one of those.
I went down the route of a K&N replacement filter (about
Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
MB

What sort of increase do you reckon s2knut?

I have tried a
Old 09-29-2008, 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=darrenswift,Sep 29 2008, 07:11 PM]
MB's right, you get what you pay for. I reckon you could be in with an expensive bill should something go wrong after fitting one of those.
I went down the route of a K&N replacement filter (about
Old 09-29-2008, 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=MB,Sep 29 2008, 07:14 PM] What sort of increase do you reckon s2knut?

I have tried a
Old 09-29-2008, 10:19 AM

I tryed the air box off this weekend whilst driving round the welsh roads and loved the noise but i did not like the little less perfromance so that is a no no for me. i need to keep the same bhp but a little more sound and this 50 quid one looks half decent. would be intresting to speak with someone who has tried this model? How far down the engine bay would this go (left or right side)? Sorry for lack of knowledge with these engine cars, used to nissan Sr20det engines!
Old 09-29-2008, 10:21 AM
MB

We will have to agree to disagree! I think the response might be better though.

I don't think putting on a very long pipe and a filter on the end can do that much that you would notice it from a power point of view.

I felt very in tune with my car, and the only thing I noticed when taking my Mugen exhaust, decat and manifold off, was the weight.

Slev - I don't understand why you would fit some home made thing. As I said, that pipe will soak lots of heat and the actual filter will be of a totally unknown brand.

At minimum go for the K&N typhoon equivalent IMO.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:26 AM

have just sent the seller a e-mail with some questions regarding heat soak and filtration capability. will inform of answers

Quick Reply: These any good?