UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

There's something fishy going on................

Old 04-28-2003, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car normally never has any smell, except when I back up into my garage and I have to get over the 'little hump' at the door.

With such a slow speed driving rearwards I need to rev the engine a bit and let the clutch slip some to make it in. I'm positively sure there is no harm at all in this, but with this car I guess one can smell it more pronouncedly.

Maybe you do something of the same sort when parking your car?

Regards,

Siepel
Old 04-28-2003, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by s200Dsa
........ he also recommended double declutching ..........
Whats this?
Old 04-28-2003, 04:59 AM

Depressing the clutch , disengaging the drive gear, applying more throttle and then selecting the next gear.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by s200Dsa
Depressing the clutch , disengaging the drive gear, applying more throttle and then selecting the next gear.
I might be wrong, but it seems a hassle? What is the benefit of it, Simon?
Old 04-28-2003, 05:12 AM

I've never had the fishy smell but......my car had done 8000 by the time I got it

I am also very circumspect with standing starts having destroyed my M3 clutch with a replacement cost of over
Old 04-28-2003, 05:14 AM

I think double de-clutching is only any use on very old cars without sync's! It would be a total waste of time on modern cars.

I had the same smell when I first drove the car, but now i've got used to the weight, position etc.. of the clutch i nver seem to get the smell.

I'd say just be patient and you'll notice as you learn to drive the car you won't burn the clutch much or at all.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Iron Head
[B]I think double de-clutching is only any use on very old cars without sync's! It would be a total waste of time on modern cars.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:32 AM

The smell was also apparent in my car for the first few hundred miles. It was more apparent when I was 'on-off' the clutch in traffic. I don't get this now, but it has got 1500 miles on clock.

If I were to dial up a few revs and nail it from the lights or slip the clutch the smell will be there. I would put the smell you are getting down to it being a brand new car and the clutch just needs running in.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:41 AM

I'm sure a lot of clutch related problems with the S come from excessive revs when pulling away from stationary. I found that it was only necessary to apply revs just above the tick-over level, and audibly, scarcely detectable, to get the car moving and overcome the intial inertia. Once the car is moving by the slightest amount, and the clutch is fully engaged, is the time to drop your right clog.

You just don't need those revs pulling away, in fact, I'd say less than 2K. You wont be any slower than the guy dropping the clutch at 6K and you'll certainly be having more sympathy on your whole car, let alone just the clutch! Once you've glazed those plates they'll never be quite the same.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:45 AM

The only (slightly) annoying thing I find with the S so far is that, compared to my Golf GTI, it feels a lot easier to stall, and so I find I do tend to rev a bit more, especially when I'm manoeuvring into the garage (it's small!!)

Quick Reply: There's something fishy going on................