UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

There's something fishy going on................

Old 04-27-2003, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There's something fishy going on................

I know there have been threads about this before, but I have a problem with this rather unattractive smell from the car.
Bearing in mind it has been in my possession for less than 48hrs....my concern is of a mild to moderate nature.

If you had my head to a gun barrel, I would say it was coming from the gearbox. It's not always there...seems to be when I've turned the engine off, and it doesn't happen every time.

Should I be worried? Should I take it back to the dealer, and if I were to, do I have to take it back to the dealer I bought it from or will any dealer do?
Old 04-27-2003, 01:43 AM

From the fishy description in the Subject Line, I'd guess it's the clutch. I've had it on a few occasions, and it has been referred to on here quite a lot.

No great cause for concern, San. It usually happens when dumping the clutch at high revs, or when you slip it or ride it while driving.

If it IS what I think it is, I'd agree that it's a rather unpleasant smell!

In answer to your general question, warranty work can be done by any dealer, not just the one who supplied the car.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:57 AM

Ditto to what mark said & if this is your fist S you may or may not be riding
the clutch unknowingly when changing gear, the clutch is more like a racing clutch & doesn't need as slow a lift off.
I found that in a new s there was more of this smell when reversing
especially up a hill or driveway. this may also be newness.(not sure how technical this is)

my 2p anyway

warren

just wait for the foghorn
Old 04-27-2003, 02:00 AM

The smell has been likened to burning cat pee. Rather unpleasant, and a sure deterrant to riding the clutch.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:07 AM

I got this pong a few times as well (the car, not me, that is). I've only had the car a month and have just finished the running in (Yippee!). I seemed to get the 'stink' in the first couple of weeks but now everything's bedded in I haven't noticed it lately.
Sounds like they all suffer from this BO problem. Great looks, bit of a goer - just smells a bit!
Old 04-27-2003, 02:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure it's not just the cat? (converter that is ) The smell is more 'rotten eggs' from the cat. You often notice it when you reverse back as fumes from the cat get drawn in through your ventilation system, as you effectively reverse over them.(They're normally carried away behind you) They're often very noticeable when getting out of the car with the engine just turned off, as the fumers leak upwards from under the car. You often get the pong from the cat of the car in front of you too.

Eeeewww!
Old 04-27-2003, 04:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
[B]You sure it's not just the cat? (converter that is ) The smell is more 'rotten eggs' from the cat. You often notice it when you reverse back as fumes from the cat get drawn in through your ventilation system, as you effectively reverse over them.(They're normally carried away behind you) They're often very noticeable when getting out of the car with the engine just turned off, as the fumers leak upwards from under the car. You often get the pong from the cat of the car in front of you too.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:34 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Honda clutches seem easy to slip - always ensure your foot is completely off the clutch pedal before giving it big throttle. Blipping the throttle on downchanges helps too.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:41 AM

i s'pose when you're going through stop-start traffic, you're gonna be riding the clutch a little more than on an open road.

I have to say that I haven't had the smell since saturday now, so maybe it's the last of it.

Let's hope so.....my colleagues are starting to look at me funny
Old 04-28-2003, 04:48 AM

Would agree on the clutch thing - took my boss out for a spin, he drives his own race car, he spotted the smell, suggested it was errant lining and that I should absolutely avoid riding the clutch.
Which I do to the extent of freewheeling at intersections and roundabouts if I'm in traffic, he also recommended double declutching and a smooth and regular shift down through the gears a' la racing rather than the more usual straight into 2nd or third adopted with road cars.

Quick Reply: There's something fishy going on................