UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

There's nothing wrong with the alloys....................

Old 02-06-2004, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There's nothing wrong with the alloys....................

as long as you look after them.......you can't expect them not to corrode if they are not washed regularly and get left with a coating of brake dust on them

There's bound to be some wear and tear if the car is used...........basically I think some owners expect too much
Old 02-06-2004, 03:31 AM

Trolling again, Paul?

Even Honda themselves concede that there is a problem with the alloys, hence so many being repaired under warranty.

It's not just a question of brake dust becoming embedded and the wheels being difficult to clean and becoming discoloured. They actually start to corrode.

Apparently, it's a problem common to a lot of Japanese alloys - insufficient lacquer used in the manufacturing process, or something like that.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:34 AM

put it this way.........mine were replaced and are like new....I wash them every weekend...followed by a coat of polish and they are as new more or less

People (not saying board member) in general are quite lazy when it comes to cleaning cars 'properly'

All I am saying is that a little preventative maintenance goes a long way and I think if there is an inherent problem with the wheel its exacerbated to an extent
Old 02-06-2004, 03:34 AM

My mrs's Yaris Tsport had hers replaced under warranty about 6 mths ago and they are already showing signs of corrosion again!! we wash them very regularly but no polish!!
Old 02-06-2004, 03:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You know, if you wear shoes for a year, they wear out - and we don`t take them back for warranty work do we?

Maybe we should view the wheels as the cars shoes and replace when broken.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:36 AM

slap the Zymol on!!!..........no seriously

Our MINI Cooper wheels were corroding but that's because I left them dirty for 4 weeks....it doesn't take long for the corrosion to start
Old 02-06-2004, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by zero_to60
All I am saying is that ..... if there is an inherent problem with the wheel its exacerbated to an extent
That's not what you're saying at all! Look at the thread title: "There's nothing wrong with the alloys........" That's a rather different proposition.

The fact that your own wheels have had to be changed, irrespective of how clean you have managed to keep them since, tells you all you need to know.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:43 AM

to be honest I only replaced them because 'I could'.......I figured if I could get some new wheels out of Honda why hell not

All I am saying is that you can't expect the alloys to not corrode at some point in their life....where is the cut off?.........the 3 year warranty period I guess by definition

I concurr with CC......the wheels are like shoes...only for a car.....you wear them out and replace them....just that Honda have been doing it for us
Old 02-06-2004, 03:52 AM

My mk2 Golf 16v had a set of original 15" BBS cross spokes - mmm - they were still in good nick after 10years and 120000 miles.

Now the S2000 had new wheels less than a year ago. Three are ok and one is in a terrible state. I doubt whether the previous owner decided to look after some of the wheels better than others? And it's a rear which should get less brake dust. Figure that one out
Old 02-06-2004, 03:57 AM

Originally posted by zero_to60
I concurr with CC......the wheels are like shoes...only for a car.....you wear them out and replace them....just that Honda have been doing it for us
If that is the case then why can other manufacturers manage to produce wheels that will NOT corrode for the life of the vehicle? Based on your assumption, why should we expect a car not to rust? Its left outdoors in all weathers, gets caked in grime and can be left unwashed for months.
Corrosion of any type on wheels should be just as rare as on your bodywork.

Quick Reply: There's nothing wrong with the alloys....................