UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is there anyone on here who is not a total speed monster?

Old 05-27-2004, 04:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by dreamer
Agree - I don't look at the US parts of the forum so I'll miss all those threads
It's not really that the other boards are US-specific but rather that this particular board is UK-specific. The other boards are not region-specific. However, given that there are a lot more US posters than from anywhere else, Street Encounters, Under The Hood, S2000 Talk et al do tend to be Yankocentric.

Ian mentioned earlier in the thread that he was considering moving the threads in question. I assume that he must have done. I PMed him earlier on making the same point that Allan and Jo have made, that they won't get read over there by 95% of the UK membership. It's something I'll take up with him when he's back from his business trip and then SM5 next week.

I personally wouldn't find those kind of threads to be a great loss, especially given that the quotient tends to be quite high , but I accept that I may well be in the minority there and so it's something the COs will have to look at.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by Mark Turner
personally wouldn't find those kind of threads to be a great loss, especially given that the quotient tends to be quite high , but I accept that I may well be in the minority there and so it's something the COs will have to look at.
I won't miss them - rarely read them, as they are pretty scary.

(I would miss any debates on speedmonstering and powersliding though)
Old 05-27-2004, 04:24 AM

Thanks Mark - thing is, if we moved all the threads that somebody found boring or irrelevant, we'd be left with nothing.....

Isn't there 2 issues here - one is about feeling a bit intimidated about going on a driving meet - understandable, natural, i'm sure it will figure itself out at a meet, just need the confidence to stop and pull over if it gets beyond you and stay in phone contact with people

second, is what posts are being "dumpstered" / moved to other forums, and why....
Old 05-27-2004, 04:31 AM

Thanks Mark - thing is, if we moved all the threads that somebody found boring or irrelevant, we'd be left with nothing.....
As I said, it may very well be that my view isn't the majority one, and so it's not necessarily appropriate for the COs to unilaterally decide to shift something if there's a grey area or it's based purely on their own view of whether it's boring or irrelevant.

Between us, the COs need to decide on what we're going to do with them, based on what the majority view seems to be. Other than moving or editing posts to ensure that they comply with the site usage policy, it's not for us to determine site content.

Originally posted by dreamer second, is what posts are being "dumpstered" / moved to other forums, and why....
Posts that don't comply with the site usage policy get shifted to the Dumpster, which is an administrative forum accessible only by COs and moderators.

Posts that more properly belong in another forum get shifted to where they should have been posted to begin with. That usually means moving stuff from the main UK board to OT, or sometimes to the FS&W board. What Ian has done is shift the street-racing threads to the Street Encounters board, because that board is specifically for that kind of post.

Hope that makes things a bit clearer
Old 05-27-2004, 04:47 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by C7BLE
Old 05-27-2004, 05:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by derekbuck
Nick,

Think you mistook me.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With the performance of the S2000 it is difficult not to use it. It doesn't have to mean speeding or driving without consideration etc but the way the power is delivered can encourage it.

I'm not that keen on going fast on public roads, but I like to accelerate quickly and have a great handling car.

If I'm honest I do sometimes have to have a realitiy check and back off a bit just because the car is effortlessly quick.

I bought the car because it looked good, it was rare (had mine since 99) and because I wanted to drive quickly around tracks.

I do sometimes find I get tempted to floor it when some ass in a turbo diesel thinks he can outrun an S2000. I can't resist it all the time but often reflect on it afterwards!

As for meets, there isn't (or shouldn't be) any pressure to drive fast but it happens because people want to not because they have to. If people run the risk of getting left behind then a word with the meet organiser is called for.

Any club/event organisers need to ensure they are operating things in a legal fashion and being responsible.

As far as S2KI goes, if that means having an area for like minded racers that doesn't clog up the main community forums then I'm all for it.

I wouldn't want people to come to the UK forum and get the impression that you need to be a speed freek to participate.

OK that's my 2p worth out of the way. I'm off out for a blast
(Those beans always make me f**t)
Old 05-27-2004, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

if we moved all the threads that somebody found boring or irrelevant, we'd be left with nothing.....
couldn't agree more

get rid of all that polishing tosh for a start

Old 05-27-2004, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if we moved all the threads that somebody found boring or irrelevant, we'd be left with nothing.....

Next thing we will get taxed on it!

Come on folks, for hells sake, iv'e read some tosh on this site, and read some great stuff, infact most of the tosh has been mine!!please don't change a good thing, as the site will go down hill.(infact in VTEC speed)

San, iv'e put a meet on at Donnington and no one wants it!
Old 05-28-2004, 12:00 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gaddafi

Quick Reply: Is there anyone on here who is not a total speed monster?