UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is there anyone on here who is not a total speed monster?

Old 05-26-2004, 01:15 PM
GSi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just watch out for whats around those CORNERs
Old 05-26-2004, 01:16 PM

Old 05-26-2004, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We love you Dave
Em!! the last one he pulled away from me!left me thinking he had S/C car!
Old 05-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Ade

It is a long time since I have read every single post on a thread with interest.

If people are missing meets because of worries like this then something needs to change.

I spend a lot of time organising meets for a lot of people. I like doing it. I really love the big meets and particularly like the group drives. I like to drive my car fast as well.

The things I remember most from group drives though are not the speeds or the driving but positive reactions from bystanders. Old ladies stopping and staring. People waving. Little boys with their mouths wide open. Or sitting third or fourth in the string and seeing people spot the first S and then gawp as they see another and another and another.

I can't imagine how bad I'd feel if there was a serious accident at a meet. I want people to go away happy. I don't want to feel in any way responsible for spoiling anyones day/car/life.

I also organise one of the UKs largest cycle races each year. I've approached that with the same attitude. So far we haven't had an accident in the 12 years I have run it. But the feeling is the same before each event - for goodness sake don't let there be an accident. The result is not as important as getting everyone round safely.

What makes the meets though is not the car, or the driving, but the people that you meet. You make friends. You have fun.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ade

What makes the meets though is not the car, or the driving, but the people that you meet.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

You coming to SM5 chesh? Cool!

Or are you mixed up with MM1 ? I'm sure the name changed to MM from SM , just so you could do everyone from 1 to infinity
Old 05-26-2004, 09:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry! My bad.

MM1

Old 05-26-2004, 11:22 PM

I noticed that the threads about being beaten by other cars etc. have been moved. I am not advocating the removal of these threads or being moved.

I think the point recently came to make sure that we all took stock of what we were doing on the roads. Some have been more careful than others and all of us have written about the cars we tried to "play" with or "had fun with" so in my opinion I think it was important that something was said as suggestions to others but not to make the threads disappear. I say this because most UK owners hardly go to the main forum let alone to street encounters.

I am not sure exactly what the solution is but perhaps this is the only way. Again I am not suggesting this method is wrong but is there a better way of achieving this. We surely can't force others to drive in a certain manner, or can we?
Old 05-26-2004, 11:50 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I think there is a danger of political correctness here Rahula,

It seems that suddenly, peoples' encounters and hooning experiences have been inadvertently censored.

I'm not having a go at the moderators, nor at Vixen for merely starting a thread here, these results tend to be happenstance.

At the RX-8 minimeet, people were driving at different speeds, mostly moderate-quick, with a few hooned bends. People fell back, caught up etc and I think everyone enjoyed themselves.

We all know that driving fast only gets you to the next set of traffic lights quicker, and then evryone catches you up. But that's the POINT on these cars. Well, they are actually pointless.

Everybody, do what you want, within reason!

There is a danger we are gonna get all hand-wringy loony liberal, like politicians or some other saddoes.

Being car anoraks is sad enough, without having to sink to those depths!

Remember, you are all supposed to enjoy this car (and its forum), whether you want to or not.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:54 PM

I hadn't noticed this until Rahul pointed it out. Think it's a pity they've been moved. Some of them were high in amusement factor IMVHO.

Quick Reply: Is there anyone on here who is not a total speed monster?