UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is there anyone on here who is not a total speed monster?

Old 05-26-2004, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was VERY nervous about my first meet for all the same reasons, and some others. (Was expecting a load of sad nerds) (Which actually fits me anyway )
ALL of my fears were completely unfounded.
I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though it was raining most of the day, and have every one since.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm thinking of moving them to Street Encounters forum, where things like that should happen

thoughts?
Old 05-26-2004, 09:09 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea will fit in nicely over there Ian.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:37 AM

I wonder if organising regular track days would perhaps metabolise some of this testosterone........or at least restrict it to the track.

This is something I've been thinking of for a while....just too busy at the mo to organise it.

Will see if I get more time later in the year.....(hopefully anyway....if life and career go the way I would like!)

But Carrie.....don't worry about coming to meets. I have a lot of the oft mentioned 'left seat braking' from Karen , so I tend to be relaxed at meets. You can join us at the back .

And then carry on with the bird gossip you lot seem to do......
Old 05-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally posted by Mark Turner

It's very easy to get swept along and to feel like you've got to drive hard to keep up with faster members. You have to fight the temptation to drive beyond yourself though - if the pace is too fast, back off and take it at a speed you're more comfortable with. The pack ahead will wait for you, and most meets have routes so that you can find where people have gone in any event.

I agree with this.

Although I haven't attended any big meets I do think there is a risk of trying too hard to stay in convoy. Factor in obstructive numpties and the old chav and the cocktail can be dangerous. It's the overall mix that worries me, not any individual S2Ker. I would also trust the other S2Kers I've driven with to lead sensibly and not take me too fast into an unfamiliar corner for example.

More generally, I'm totally against fast driving (whether within the speed limit or not) on urban or quiet rural roads. There are just too many potential hazards.

On main roads though, where I know the road well and traffic is suitably light, I will give it plenty.
I don't necessarily feel the need to dice - I've been known to go out at 3am in the morning for a spirited drive alone.

Old 05-26-2004, 12:13 PM

I agree with San - Sarah is slightly nervous about joining me at MM1 for this reason - she thinks us "Honda types" are all about speed and showing off. I can assure you if I do drive fast, it will only be to get to the pub and have a laugh, not because I want to race (and Sarah would like to know how to keep the hair under control when the roof is down too... cue pink fluffy ears)

I planning on keeping my car and licence for a while yet...

This will be my first driving meet - I am looking forward to meeting many more other people who enjoy their cars - I am not going to be thrashing my motta! Besides, I believe we have the pleasure of you and James at the Travel Inn, boy I can feel that hangover already...
Old 05-26-2004, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by Karl2k
Besides, I believe we have the pleasure of you and James at the Travel Inn, boy I can feel that hangover already...
Wanna tell us something, guys?
Old 05-26-2004, 12:52 PM

Was gonna be a key-swapping party, but I guess there is no point in that...
Old 05-26-2004, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must confess, I don't like huge group drives, so I tend to opt for smaller local drives which are more social/pub oriented. It's a problem not peculiar to the S2K Board by any means, I assure you. It is a huge buzz to be driving along in a long line of S2000s or CTRs without a doubt, but it's very difficult to keep the group together with traffic lights junctions etc. and there do always appear to be a couple who can't curb their enthusiasm.

So I'm up for the pub anytime, but when it comes to clipping apexes I'm a bit of a lone wolf, and the only person drawing attention to me is... me.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Boy Wonder

Quick Reply: Is there anyone on here who is not a total speed monster?