UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Is there anyone on here who is not a total speed monster?

Old 05-26-2004, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread so far.

As someone who doesn't drive particularly fast anymore because my reactions have been dulled due to illness, I can relate to Vixen's worries.

When we organised the NE meet I was very aware that I might be holding people up at the front on the first day. It turned out that everyone was pretty happy with the pace (even though I'm sure it was slower than most of them would drive) and I felt that I was driving completely within my lmits.

On Day2 Iain was leading and the pace was too quick for mine and certainly Amanda's driving, although everyone else was happy, I just felt it was above my abilities. When I realised I was holding someone up I made sure they could get ahead of me, and as we had a map and directions we were quite happy to potter about at the back, at our own pace. I was at the back and out of sight of most cars for at least 50% of the second day. So what? No-one mentioned it or was bothered.

Drive at the pace that you're happy with and don't ever feel pressured into going faster than you feel comfortable. Everyone has different limits and reaction times.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:37 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Actually, this is one of the reasons I do not do big meets.

I agree that it's much better for people to set their own agenda.

Just because I like to slide the rear round greasy corners, it's not fair on those that don't, or newbies who haven't got used to the car.

Likewise, I find driving below my natural gait a bit unenjoyable.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:55 AM

Hi Carrie

I do know how you feel, I worry at driving meets I'll either be holding people up and they'll be cursing me, or I'll be pressured into driving too fast, or I'll be held up behind someone even slower than me, and pressured into an overtake I'm not comfortable with.

Despite my post about the MR2 I'm a pretty conservative driver, and in Sept at the meet my car will be new and I'm paranoid about the RWD.

I think a lot of the talk is "bigged up", and you'll probably find those people in the fast group of drivers, or else are actually nothing like you think they'll be and drive pretty slowly.

I've only done one driving meet (buxton with the audi's), and was totally put off the whole thing by the behaviour of a couple of people desperate to show off how fast their cars were, doing dangerous manouvres on blind left hand bends etc. (and Moff don't make any comments about the tractor here )

I just figure that if the worst comes to the worst, I'll just pull over, let everybody get 15 mins or so on me, then pull out and carry on in my own time - so long as I know where we're going anyway!

You and I can have our own "pink pussies" drive (was that the name we decided on ???)

Jo
Old 05-26-2004, 08:01 AM

You and I can have our own "pink pussies" drive
Right. From now on, I'm driving slowly
Old 05-26-2004, 08:04 AM

It might have been 'pink whores' Jo - we probably need a poll .

A lot of the comments are along the lines of what I was thinking but unfortunately it's the speed thing that is always coming across on the site!

I think from now on I'll be posting about my nice leisurely drive's to work with the top down through the greenery with the birds singing And me singing the sound of music at the top of my voice
Old 05-26-2004, 08:07 AM

(off topic slightly but I popped over to a shopping centre in Brussels the other day and saw some cool pink trainers - just didn't have enough time to try them on )

Hmm yes a poll indeed - can u remember what options there were ??
Old 05-26-2004, 08:07 AM

Actually, I have my moments. I am quite happy to race off the line, but am less happy about reaching any high speeds.

I have confessed to backing off at a ton (kph) on this forum whilst showing of the S's capabilities, but I think I have only gone that fast twice (on public roads) in my entire driving life of 25 years. And boy did I feel guilty!

I enjoy my motoring, and would be gutted to lose my licence. I need it to get to work, and just about anything else I do.

I am probably one of the luckiest here. I do drive slightly over the limit a lot of the time, and have never (touch wood) been stopped.

In fact, I've never even had a parking ticket!

I'm starting to sound like my Father. Please take me out & shoot me....
Old 05-26-2004, 08:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Colin Andrews
Old 05-26-2004, 08:16 AM

The NE meet was very quick on day 2 - but I think that was done to the conditions more than anything else.

I don't think I have EVER driven through the borders when the roads were so quiet and dry - highly unusual.

On my first meets, and indeed still to an extent today, I was actually quite relieved when the convoy got held up by traffic, as it allowed me to catch up.

This is likely to apply to most meets, (except WBT 1 hopefully ) and works well in giving slower drivers a chance to catch up without feeling pressurised into making questionable overtaking manoeuvres. What you also have to remember is that in most cases, the S has sufficient oomph to catch up on straights if you are slower on the corners. It shouldn't be too much of a worry for newbies - if you do find it too much, just say so, flash your lights to let everyone now, and folk will slow down. No one is going to complain - we were all there once (often I'm still there) .
Old 05-26-2004, 08:23 AM

It's interesting to see that although Vixen only started this thread 4 hours ago it has already made 32 replies - and that must be when the majority of us are supposed to be working.

Nearly all the replies are off the "Who, me, Sir? not I, Sir!" category which shows the concern that many members have about both the problems of unsafe driving and the deteriorating relevance of the postings on this Forum.

With parallel postings having headings such as "Harrassed by a freakin MR2", perhaps we need not only a Kindergarten Section but also a Testosterone Section? At least that might restrict the postings on the main site to topics which are of real interest to the majority.

Quick Reply: Is there anyone on here who is not a total speed monster?