UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Test Pipe on otherwise stock exhaust

Old 10-11-2005, 03:04 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe I misunderstood!

Thought the cat was a short section with a 3 bolt flange either side, and through bolted. Didnt realise they were welded on studs. That would indeed make it tricky to remove! Guess you have to pish the rear secion back on its hangers?

MB
Old 10-11-2005, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand it on turbo lump where the cat's restrictive, but not on a n/a lump with a high-flow cat installed?
Granted it doesn't have the night and day effect of a turbo decat but it definately seems to make a difference at higher rpm. Not much but then modding an n/a is usually about those small gains. There is also the nice gain you get in noise as well. Its all good but probably not quite worth the
Old 10-11-2005, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Oct 11 2005, 11:04 AM
Thought the cat was a short section with a 3 bolt flange either side, and through bolted.

I soaked the bolts on either end of the cat in some WD40 when I changed the manifold and zorst to make removal easier, but deffo no sign of them welded in.

It's not April 1st just yet, is it?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The three bolts connecting the cat to the exhaust appear to be spot welded in - they may be easily removed with a hammer, but they are not straight through bolts like the two connecting the cat to the exhaust manifold. I read some comments on the studs on one of the other forums recently so I don't think my cat is unique in having such awkward studs
Old 10-11-2005, 04:17 AM

Mine has awkward studs on the cat to exhaust connection also. Not only are they welded on but rusted to fcuk too! I soaked them in wd40 before attempting a removal but on of the bolts has still rounded off. Well it is 5 years and 56,000 miles old I suppose

Still trying to find a cheap mechanic to do the job for me. Took it to Kwikfit at the weekend and they told me they don't fit anyone elses bits anymore (not even for a cheecky backhander!), Honda want
Old 10-11-2005, 04:32 AM

The phantom Rattle

As you might know from the group buy thread my only problem with this mod is a metallic rattle/ringing noise at certain (usually high ) rpm! I took it back to the exhaust place today and we put it up on the ramp. No blows, no loose bolts or anti-foulers and no loose other bits and bobs near the exhaust. The decat pipe was miles from anything and nothing made much of a sound! Totally Could it be that this rather odd ringing noise is normal??? Any other experience of this? Should I just buy an Invidia to drown it out
Old 10-11-2005, 05:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=phase_k,Oct 11 2005, 01:17 PM] Mine has awkward studs on the cat to exhaust connection also. Not only are they welded on but rusted to fcuk too! I soaked them in wd40 before attempting a removal but on of the bolts has still rounded off. Well it is 5 years and 56,000 miles old I suppose

Still trying to find a cheap mechanic to do the job for me. Took it to Kwikfit at the weekend and they told me they don't fit anyone elses bits anymore (not even for a cheecky backhander!), Honda want
Old 10-11-2005, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Oct 11 2005, 02:00 PM
Swopped mine in a bilnd frustrated panic in an hour on Wednesday having simply jacked up the driver's side of the car and propped it up with a pair of axle stands
Tried that but couldn't get enough leverage from underneath cause the damn bolts were so rusted!!!

Found a guy to fit it, he charged
Old 10-11-2005, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by phase_k,Oct 11 2005, 04:29 PM
Is it illegal or just for MOT??
My understanding is that it effectively would make your MOT void - otherwise why would you need to change it before hand? Therefore I'm guessing it could also make the insurance void. Please correct me if wrong (I would prefer to be )
Old 10-11-2005, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by phase_k,Oct 11 2005, 04:29 PM
Quick question: Obviously these must be removed at MOT time, but is there anything plod at the side of the road can do if he realises? Is it illegal or just for MOT??
I doubt at the roadside they could tell, bit tight under there. Worst case is they tell you to get proof of emissions so you could swap it over and get a read out. Unlikely that it'll cause problems though

Quick Reply: Test Pipe on otherwise stock exhaust