UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Test drive was great

Old 05-21-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drive was great

Took a test drive of the S2000 at Springfield Honda (Sunderland) today. I really wasn't sure what to expect after a disappointing drive a couple of years ago. But after 5 minutes (or perhaps even less) I knew this car is fantastic. My main concern was general noise from the car - I have read and heard so many negative comments about this, but my conclusion was that this can is simply not that noisy at all. Ok its not a whispering Lexus, but its certainly not a horrid cacophony of straining mechanical components. I had made a mental note of how loud my wifes Nissan Micra was at 70mph and found the S to be only fractionally louder. Its really quite easy to converse at 70 top down or up - much much better that I expected. Ah - and the sound of the engine - its so intoxicating - unbelievably better that I was expecting.

I have tried quite a few similar cars over the last year or so and only the S and the Mazda RX8 have left me excited by the drive. The Z4 and new SLK left me feeling 'was that it'.

Well the only problem now is choosing the colour. My favs are Moonrock and Formula Red - choices, choices.

One final point - what sort of price have you all being paying from a franchised dealer? I am hoping to get close to
Old 05-21-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dont bother with the hardtop most people store it and never bother putting it back on.

Save the extra grand and get some Muz mats, better audio stuff and a lot of super U/L.
You not fancy the full effect original version?
Can have a go in mine if you like.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with ade
BTW my local dealer has a Black GT with 9 miles on at
Old 05-21-2005, 11:55 AM

Mikey, which dealer is that?

Cheers
Graham
Old 05-21-2005, 12:12 PM

We just bought our's from www.drivethedeal.com -
Old 05-21-2005, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two Mills Honda in Ellesmere Port.
It is a black GT with Full red interior looks nice!
They also have an SLK, Boxster, TT cab, an 02 S a 996 and a few other exotica. They had a Fezza 550 last time I went in and are an NSX dealer so know their stuff.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:44 PM

exactly why the S2K is such an addictive drivers car...... how many cars are now left that have some basic driving rawness to them......

Would however diagree on the SLK. I test drove the 350 and it was actually quite good. Then I had a 55AMG version for an hour and it blew me away with its handling , power/torque and character... one problem price tag....

So now to place a deposit....

J
Old 05-21-2005, 01:04 PM

I quite fanced a new 350, but manuals are like hens teeth

Shame given the car's good rep that it's still only rich businessmans' wives that drive them, so all autos.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ScoobySnak,May 21 2005, 08:44 PM
exactly why the S2K is such an addictive drivers car...... how many cars are now left that have some basic driving rawness to them......

Would however diagree on the SLK. I test drove the 350 and it was actually quite good. Then I had a 55AMG version for an hour and it blew me away with its handling , power/torque and character... one problem price tag....

So now to place a deposit....

J
I found the SLK55 AMG to be lacking in the handling department compared to the S and the crap auto box left me distinctly unimpressed!

It was fast as fcuk mind you! and virtually NOTHING is going to keep up in a straight line...... I got 0-100 in just over 11 seconds nearly every time I tried!
Old 05-22-2005, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by ade73,May 21 2005, 08:41 PM
Dont bother with the hardtop most people store it and never bother putting it back on.
Something of a generalisation!

If you do a lot of miles, or it's any every day car which you will need to drive over the winter, the hardtop is useful to have. It makes it a lot more civilised when it's cold and wet outside during the more inclement months. It's an only car for me and I don't regret having gone for the GT.

If it's just a weekend fun car, I'd probably agree with Ade though.

Quick Reply: Test drive was great