UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Test drive

Old 07-08-2007, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drive

So, after thinking about purchasing an S2k for a while (do it now before I retire) I finally took a test drive. After the drive the salesman asked how I felt. Answer - "not sure." At the back of my mind I think that I thought it was a bit lacklustre.

The drive was too brief for me. Never driven a performance car before, and the contrast with my Focus 1.8 TDCI couldn't have been greater.

What with trying to adapt to a much heavier clutch with a biting point a gnat's knacker from full out, not knowing what gear I was in, listening for rattles and squeaks, watching the speed limits (strange town), trying to asses what I thought of the ride, and my comfort - yes this is snug but will my back ache after 60 miles? All of it was so involved that I didn't really drive as I expected to.

Bottom line - and the point of this post - is that I realised afterwards that I simply hadn't revved it enough to get into VTEC mode. I drove it like my focus!

I need to go back and do it properly. But in the meantime I'd be interested in opinions. What sort of difference should I expect? (And I think I know the answer having ridden Japanese bikes for years until 1990.)
Old 07-08-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you've sussed the problem. If you didn't VTEC it, you didn't really test drive it.

Go back and have another go, and only post on here when you've bounced it off the rev limiter several times ...
Old 07-08-2007, 02:45 PM

You really need a proper test drive.

I hadn't driven anything quick before my maiden drive many years ago now - if it hadn't been the garage owner who happened to be around and who took me out I might never have bought on.

He raced bikes, and could drive a bit too.

He scared my shitless on some quiet country back roads.

I bought the car. End of story
Old 07-08-2007, 11:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

First time i drove one it was pretty a pretty similar experience except i was already used to driving a fast rwd sports car. I was somewhat underwhelmed.

The s2k cabin felt tight, the fact that there was no torque made it feel slow, and the one i test drive had an annoying rattle from the roof. Then i vtec'd it and suddenly realised i was doing 90mph when i thought i was doing about 60.

I'm on my second one know. It's a car that grows on you.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Xd

Back wise, I find the seats very good, could be my build but For me I find they actually help when I am having back troubles. My retired in-laws feel the same too.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:58 PM

I did the exact same thing when I test drove an Elise, and was driving a 1.6 Golf at the time. You're so used to pootling around, and not over revving the engine that when you get in a sports car you drive it the same way.

I agree that you need to find a dealer that will let you warm it up, and thrash it (though, not in the wet for obvious reasons). The Vtec is what you need, as just when you think *ooo eck this is rather quick isn't it*, you are catapulted even faster as it kicks in. It's probably best to have the top down too for the full experience.

Maybe there is a local S2K owner, who would take you out and show you how much fun they can be?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:06 AM

When I test drove mine I wasn't very impressed. Until the dealer got me to floor it in 2nd gear and then I was sold.

Vtec. Is. Good.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:32 AM

I was quite lucky when I test drove mine as a guy at work had a CTR and told me "make sure you get over 6k rpm otherwise there is no point" so I made sure I cained it. I remember the Honda dealer saying "Sir can you please slow down" haha..wimp..
Old 07-09-2007, 03:07 AM

funny about the cabin. it has never felt small or cramped or claustrophic to me at all, i'm 6ft so not uber tall but not short either.
however my mate's 1st reaction was how cramped it was!?

I can easily drive for 3 or more hours with out a break and no back problems and my wife has a bad back and finds the car very comfortable even on long journeys.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapscallion,Jul 9 2007, 03:07 AM
funny about the cabin. it has never felt small or cramped or claustrophic to me at all, i'm 6ft so not uber tall but not short either.
however my mate's 1st reaction was how cramped it was!?
i found that... shut the door on my arm in the first test drive

now i just jump in roof up or down and spread into the space

Quick Reply: Test drive