UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Technical sump question.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cheshire_carper,Sep 2 2005, 08:17 AM
Eeek that sounds evil - what is used to clean the 'old' FIPG off the surfaces? Some sandpaper? or is there a special method that is used, like a solvent of some sort?

I am just trying to understand how time consuming such mods are AND why Honda took so long on the oil bolt recall.
Again presuming it's similar to the stuff we use, unfortunately, its solvent proof (although we use different around the water pump and that you can remove with a solvent).

Normally things like paint scrapers are too flexible and ride up the solid bits of FIPG and a file is too likely to damage the surface (aluminium block and all), although I will look into this bastard file tool. Might be a useful Kaizen

Best tool we've found at work is to take a hacksaw blade and cut it to about 4-6 inches long. Grind one end flat and sharp and wrap insulating tape around the other end to act as a handle. This gives you a very fine and ridged scraper. You just have to be careful to keep the edges from digging in badly. FIPG will seal a cavity up to about 0.5mm without problems but you can't have any burrs holding the pan away from the surface.

Depending on experience, quantity of FIPG on and how hard it is I reckon a good job on this should take you 15-20 minutes, maybe more with the engine still in the car.

Also the FIPG works by sticking to both surfaces so you have to make sure that both a very clean of dirt and grease otherwise it won't stick and thermal expansion can lead to it pulling away from the surface and leaking